1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS-DOS Command Prompt Issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Nicolaus, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nicolaus

Nicolaus Thread Starter

Whenever I type Edit into the command prompt, I get:
    'Edit' is not recognized as an internal or external command.

I just recently installed fortran99, and need to use the 'edit' function, but it seemingly won't allow me to. How can I fix this?

2. Nicolaus

Nicolaus Thread Starter

3. Nicolaus

Nicolaus Thread Starter

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

What are you trying to edit? Did you specifiy a file name?

Not sure how you have things set up, but you realize that XP does not contain, nor is it based on MS-DOS, which went out of use in 2000? There is an emulator in XP, but it may interact with your program somewhat differently.

You can edit with Notepad or any text program if it is a text file. To edit a program, you would do it from within FORTRAN.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In the Command Prompt type

path

Does the path include "C:\WINDOWS\system32"? If not, your PATH is messed up. What line is output for you?

Does that directory include edit.com? (It should)

6. Nicolaus

Nicolaus Thread Starter

Yes, my path contains C:\WINDOWS\system32 and includes exit.com. How would I edit a fortran program then? I am new to programming.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If that was a typo, and it does include edit.com, I don't know why it is not working. If edit.com is not there I'm guessing you have 64-bit XP (64-bit Vista and Windows 7 do not include it, so probably XP doesn't either).

Any text editor should do. Try Notepad. (In a Command prompt if notepad is not sufficient to launch it, try start notepad)

8. Nicolaus

Nicolaus Thread Starter

It was a typo. Alright, so I got Fortran99 going and when I edit the program in notepad and attempt to load it onto fortran through the cmd prompt, it states it cannot locate the directory, yet the path was typed correctly.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The antecedent of the first "it" is "the program"? If so, what is "the program"? Maybe the source Fortran program that you were editing?

The antecedent of the second and third "it" is the Command Prompt? What directory cannot be located?

You are going to have to give us more details if you expect us to know what you are doing and seeing.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087181

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice