Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

MS-DOS: Soundcard for Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600?

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  managed 
#1 ·
Okay, so what I need to know is what, if any, sound/music device will work on MS-DOS games. I don't like the cheesy PC SPEAKER sound. I know it has sound besides that because I can play songs with-in Windows 98.

#3 ·
First of all, bumping something after only a few hours is NOT going to win you any friends. It is permissible to bump a thread after 24hr.
Next to answer your question, there are a number of sound cards that would work with dos; sound blaster 16 comes readily to mind. From the title of your thread, you appear to have a laptop so it is a moot point; there are no sound cards you could install in a laptop. If by chance you do not inquiring about a laptop, then a sound blaster 16 would work.

#4 ·
First of all, bumping something after only a few hours is NOT going to win you any friends. It is permissible to bump a thread after 24hr.
Next to answer your question, there are a number of sound cards that would work with dos; sound blaster 16 comes readily to mind. From the title of your thread, you appear to have a laptop so it is a moot point; there are no sound cards you could install in a laptop. If by chance you do not inquiring about a laptop, then a sound blaster 16 would work.
Ok...so I can't get sound...besides my pc speaker...

#7 ·
First of all, do not quote the previous post; simply ask your question or state your response.
Win9x is a shell for dos however it uses a windows 9x driver NOT a dos driver. It is again a moot point; your system does not support dos as a stand alone os ie dos is NOT listed as a supported os on the support page.

#11 ·
I understand that. What you have to understand is that normally you would be able to have sound however in this case, the laptop mfg has not written the driver to support dos. No one is going to write a driver for a 15yr old system; not happening. If you wanted to pay a programmer to custom write a driver for you, then you would have sound. I hardly think it would be cost effective to spend $400 or more for this endeavor. To custom write a driver is going to take a few hrs of time and that time is expensive.

Years ago I wrote a custom video driver for win2k to support newer ati cards that did not have a win2k driver. It is not difficult however it does require a pretty high level of skill AND some time. In addition, you have to test the driver and this requires even more time.

#12 ·
Another option would be to try and edit the autoexec.bat file to load the driver manually. Note this is not that hard however you do need to have some understanding of dos and dos commands.
No guarantees on this one however you could give it a shot. Do understand that messing with system files can break your system requiring a fresh install of the os.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.