1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ms dos subsystem error, please help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by amorrow2286, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amorrow2286

amorrow2286 Thread Starter

every time i try to run a DOS executable program i get this message:

"16 bit MS-DOS subsystem"
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running ms-dos and microsoft windows applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the application.

Please help

thank you

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

3. ddwaz

ddwaz

I'm getting this same error. I am running Windows 2000 and the computer was working just fine, without knowingly doing anything different, we got this error and the box will not go away. We just move it around the desktop out of the way and Everything works just fine. But this box will not go away. I can't find where anything is running and I looked on the Microsoft site and can't find a solution either. I really don't know much about the registry though, so I was afraid to tackle that one. If I can't get an easy solution, I'm just going to reinstall windows. I'm a big coward as you can see.

4. Kramer55

Kramer55

get your windows xp cd, put it in the cd tray, and copy the following into Run

expand D:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

that will solve your problem

5. ddwaz

ddwaz

Thank you Kramer. I am running Windows 2000. Should I use that CD or are you saying to use an XP CD?

6. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!