Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

MS EXCHANGE SERVER

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Reuel Miller 
#1 ·
WHEN I SEND AN EMAIL TO A CERTAIN ADDRESS FROM A CLIENT PC THROUGH EXCHANGE SERVER
IT HANGS ON TO THEM AND WILL NOT FORWARD THEM TO OUR ISP, IT ONLY HAPPENS WITH CERTAIN ADDRESSES, THEY CAN SEND TO MY MAILBOX BUT IT WONT FORWARD MY REPLIES

#2 ·
Greetings

What version of exchange server? What service pack is it running? What kind of connection do you have to your ISP (Dial-up, dedicated, other?)?

Can you email the address from any other client, or does it still stay queued from any client in the organisation?

have you checked that their reply to: address is a valid email address? It is possible for a person to setup their reply to: address incorrectly, and thus, if you hit the "Reply to" button it will not get to them. To check, right click on the Sent from: entry in the original email and write out the email address you find there in a new mail and send that (unless you see an obvious mistake like me#home.com, or me@ALO.com, or me@home,com, or me@home com, etc)

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller
Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

rmiller@xperts.co.za

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

#3 ·
THE EXCHANGE SERVER VERSION IS 5.5
THE SERVICE PACK IS BASIC
THE CONNECTION IS ROUTED ISDN
THE EMAILS REMAIN QUEUED

AND WON'T PASS THEM ON TO THE ISP. THE TARGET RECIPIENT IS IN FACT MYSELF AND OTHERS IN MY ORGANISATION. I HAVE CHECKED OUT ALL THE REPLY TO INFO ON ALL OUR WORKSTATIONS AND THEY CHECK OUT OK IT ALSO CHECKS OUT OK ON THE OTHER END. THE SENDER WITH THE PROBLEM IS A SISTER ORGANISATION WHO JUST HAD THIS EXCHANGE SERVER PUT IN 2 MONTHS AGO.
IT WAS WORKING OK. AND THEN SOMEONE PLAYED WITH THE SETTINGS THE EXCHANGE CAN SEND TO ALL OTHER RECIPIENTS BUT NOT TO ANY ADDRESSES IN MY DOMAIN. COULD IT BE MY DOMAIN IS MAPPED AS A LOCAL ADDRESS AND EXCHANGE SEVER IS WAITING FOR ME TO RETRIEVE MY MAIL. WE ARE ALL PULLING OUR HAIR OUT HERE

#4 ·
Greetings

So... what you are saying is that you are attempting to email WITHIN your organisation (ie on the same global address book) using the internet as your transport?

Btw... what does "Service Pack: Basic" mean? have you installed Service pack 3 on either side yet?

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

rmiller@xperts.co.za

#6 ·
Greetings

I understand that, but is it still in the same organisation? In other words, do your exchange servers have connectors for each other?

I suspect that your connectors have been tampered with. It is a perfectly valid solution to use the internet (as apposed to a dedicated link) to connect two exchange servers together to create one organisation.

This is accomplished through connectors. Now, I will get a copy of Exchange 5.5 in front of me tomorrow, and I'll try figure out where it may have gone wrong....

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

rmiller@xperts.co.za

#7 ·
REUEL
THANK YOU FOR YOUR EFFORTS !!
ONLY OUR SISTER ORGANISATION IS USING MS EXCHANGE SERVER. WE ARE USING AN EMAIL SERVER CALLED VPOP3, WRITTEN BY A COMPANY
CALLED WWW.PSCS.CO.UK
OUR SIDE OF THINGS THROUGH VPOP3 IS VERY RELIABLE, THE ONLY WAY I COULD MAKE THIS PROBLEM HAPPEN ON OUR SYSTEM IS TO MAP THEIR ADDRESS AS A LOCAL DOMAIN FORCING VPOP3 TO TREAT THEIR ADDRESS AS ON THE NETWORK OR ALIAS THEIR MAILBOX UP AS A DIAL UP NETWORK CONNECTION
WHICH I GUESS WOULD THEN WAIT FOR THEM TO RETRIEVE THE EMAIL RATHER THAN ME SENDING IT TO MY ISP.
EITHER WAY THEY WOULD HAVE TO BE MAPPED AS A LOCAL DOMAIN TO GET THIS PROBLEM.

WE AS YET DON'T HAVE A SHARED NETWORK AND
WE ARE AT PRESENT RUNNING AS SEPERATE ENTITIES.
IS THERE ANYTHING OBVIOUS IN YOUR OPINION IN THE MS EXCHANGE SERVER WHICH WOULD CAUSE THIS TO HAPPEN.
YOU ARE RIGHT TO SAY THAT THE SETTING HAVE BEEN CHANGED BUT OUR EMAIL ADDRESS IS THE ONLY ONE ON THEIR SYSTEM WHICH THEIR EXCHANGE SERVER WON'T FORWARD

CHEERS

#8 ·
Greetings

Hmmmm.... if there is no connection between your sites, except political (ie. the business guys think that you are related but your IT guys have not been told to intergrate the systems) then there should be absolutely NO mention of your address in their Exchange Server. Your email addresses should be treated as simple internet addresses.

Make sure that they have been added (if they have been added to your Sister orginization's global address book) as normal internet SMTP addresses.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller

rmiller@xperts.co.za

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.