Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

MS Exel 97: Customize Buttons on Menu Bar won't stick

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Whirlwind 
#1 ·
Hello all,

My colleage workstation is using Windows2000 with MSOffice97 installed.

The problem is that those buttons pulled out through Tools/Customize/Commands tab onto the Menu Bar won't stay after she logged out at end of the day. I've tried to log on as Administrator to do all that setting with hope that they'll apply for all user profiles and stay for good but that doesn't work.

Please advise and thank you for spending time to help

------------------
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesteday

An obstinate man does not hold opinions, but they hold him.

#3 ·
Hi Dreamboat,

Thank you for your valuable advise, I've logged on as Administrator, found the Administrator8.xlb, opened the Properties/Security then give Full Control, Modify, Write, Read & Execute and Read to the Users of the workstation (before this only Read & Execute and Read . After that, I ask the user to log on as herself, now when she opens Excel, a warning box with title Microsoft Visual Basic pops up with message: "Permission to use oject denied" with 2 button OK and Cancel.
Click OK then Excel opens per normal i.e. it allows her to drag & drop buttons onto the Menu Bar, but as soon as she close Excel and open it, that stupid warning box pops up again and the Menu Bar is back to it original state - everything back to square one.

Please tell me what to do next

Thank you

[This message has been edited by Whirlwind (edited 02-14-2001).]

#4 ·
Darn, whirl! I'm sorry. I'm NOT a network person at all, just happened to know the file that gets created when you start customizing Excel toolbars. She'd also need rights to this key, I think:

hkeycurrentuser\software\microsoft\office\8.0\excel

don't know if reg key helps or not. I'm gonna see if I can sucker any info out of our network guys...

#5 ·
Hi Dreamboat,

I copied the administrator8.xlb and rename it to JennyS8.xlb (Jenny Smith - the username) then place it in C:\Winnt (the same directory as administrator8.xlb). And it works! the buttons remain after closing Excel and re-open, but the annoying message box: "Permission to use oject denied" still there everytime Excel opens.

I also changed the reg key per your advice but the stupid box refuses to go away, any ideas?

Thank you for your time

------------------
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesteday

An obstinate man does not hold opinions, but they hold him.

#6 ·
Hello Dreamboat and everybody

Do you know how to get rid of the message box "Permission to use oject denied" before Excel finally opens as mentioned above? Please help
Thank you for your advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.