MS IE Autocomplete - Disabling settings

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mc2005

Hello

I'm writing about a problem I'm experiencing when I deselect the check boxes for autocomplete in MS IE ver 6.0 under:

Tools > Internet Options > Content > Autocomplete.

After I remove the check marks and click okay the autocomplete seems to be working and not displaying tracks of what I have typed in forms and passwords. What continues to happen is the check boxes are automatically checked again after I close IE and then open it again.

I tried shutting down after I have removed the check marks before re-opening IE again. The check marks come back.

Also, the content of what I have visited and searched for continues to appear when I open the IE each time.

So it looks like this autocomplete is either resetting itself or is corrupted.

Can anyone help me understand what may be wrong?

Thanks,

Mark~~~

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi mc2005

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

Are you using Windows XP?
If so, are you logged in as an Administrator when making the changes?

If not using Windows XP, please let us know what operating system.

mc2005

Hi!

Yes it's XP Pro

No, I wasn't the Admin going into the settings.

Mark~~~

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Were you able to logon using an Administrator account and make the changes?

If so, were the changes retained?

mc2005

No, unfortunately I'm not the admin and I'll have to see if I can obtain it.
Not sure how long it will take me to obtain this. The laptop is a company laptop and tech support is outsourced. This takes a long time when the trouble ticket is not a high priority.

Will this also elimate the tracks in the address line when entering URL's, and in the search box like Google?

Thanks for your quick response and expertise.

Mark~~~

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
If those boxes remain cleared, then the urls *should* not remain.
I do not have the Forms options checked on mine, and Google does not show me my previous searches.

Once you have the Administrator User Account:
You may also want to set the History to Zero days (if it isn't already).
Also on the Advanced tab there is an option you can enable under Security for: Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed

mc2005

Thanks,

I didn't have the following checked:

Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed
So, I went ahead and checked it. I will restart my computer and see what happens.

I'm not sure what the "Use inline autocomplete" will do
I don't have this checked.

I appreciate your assistance to help me resolve this issue.

I must wait now for a tech support person to help me with the admin user settings.

Thanks again,

Mark~~~

EAFiedler said:
If those boxes remain cleared, then the urls *should* not remain.
I do not have the Forms options checked on mine, and Google does not show me my previous searches.

Once you have the Administrator User Account:
You may also want to set the History to Zero days (if it isn't already).
Also on the Advanced tab there is an option you can enable under Security for: Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online