1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Internet Information Server user login problem

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by GS3, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GS3

GS3 Thread Starter

I am totally new to web servers and decided to give MS Internet Information Server 5.1 a try since it is included with Win XP PRO. So, I am trying to set up MS Internet Information Server for HTML but when I try to access the server from a client machine I get an error that either I do not have permission to access or I am asked for user name and password which I have no idea.

I go to the Default Website Properties, Directory Security, Anonymous Access, Edit and check "Anonymous Access" which I would think would be enough to serve pages without further questions but there is still a User Name, prefilled in as "IUSR_AAA" and a Password filled in with dots which I have no idea what password they represent. There is also a check box "Allow IIS to control passwordI have no idea how I should configure all this. I have tried several combinations and nothing works. Can someone explain this to me? How should this be configured to serve pages openly or to require a log in?

In the event log I see "The server was unable to logon the Windows NT account 'IUSR_AAA' due to the following error: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. The data is the error code. "

It seems the issue is rather complex

I am just trying to learn the basics but this may be more complex than I am willing to deal with. In any case, if I ever wanted to have my own server I would probably host it on its own dedicated machine so that I did not have to worry about other stuff on the machine.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Can you access it on the computer that IIS is set up on?

3. GS3

GS3 Thread Starter

I was using a different machine because I wanted to be sure that it was really working and I was not fooling myself thinking they were wroking when in reality they might not. I have since experimented and found that using http://localhost/ in the same machine yields the same results.

I have to admit I do not understand well how the entire authentication process works and it seems more complex than it is worth.

Those articles recommend upgrading to IIS 6 which only runs on Windows Server and not on XP. Since I am only playing around for the sake of learning I think that if I were ever to set up a real server open to the WWW then I would host it in its own machine so that there was no other important information there which could be compromised.

I still do not understand the authentication process or what the "let IIS manage the password" does.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!