MS Malicious Software Removal Tool - downloaded & installed - but can't find it!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

marie500

WINDOWS XP HOME - SP2
Yesterday my Critical Updates said MS Malicious Software Removal Tool was available for download..so I got it and installed it I want to give it a try, but I can't find it! There are only two references to it on my computer (I searched for it by name and by Critical Update number). One is in the C: Windows>Downloaded Software Distribution> Install folder, it says that's a CAB file, it is an exe -? Is that it? (and if it is, why is it squirreled away where no one would ever find it?) The other is in the PF folder. The MS site says "it can be downloaded, installed and run manually from your computer." Except I can't find it. It's available to run online at MS, but I downloaded and installed it, so it's not that, is it? Where is the one I downloaded and how do I run it?

Also - the site says this:
The first time that you download and run the tool by using Windows Update or Automatic Updates, you must accept a specific end user license agreement (EULA). The EULA is displayed when you log on as a member of the Administrators group and then access Automatic Updates or the Windows Update site.
But nothing like that popped up after it installed.

jd_957

Banned
Malicious Software Removal Tool
Published: January 11, 2005 | Updated: March 8, 2005

The version of this tool delivered by Windows Update runs in the background and then deletes itself. If you would like to run this tool more than once a month, use the version on this Web page or install the version that is available in the Download Center.

the above answer was found here.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx

marie500

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought a program was actually being installed that I could run manually, like Spybot, etc. But it's for online use? What did it download and install? - controls such as Panda's or Trend Micro's?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online