1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ms Messenger

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by *aussie_blondie, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. *aussie_blondie

*aussie_blondie Thread Starter

Please, I need some urgent help. I can't sign in to messenger. The message I get is "The sign in name does not exist....The password is incorrect.....or The passport service is unavailable. "

I've tried repair. I've un-installed and installed ver 5. I've checked that I can still sign into my hotmail account with the same name. Still get that message. And there's someone I need to talk to who can't install yahoo.

Anyone know what I can do please? Or even an address for problem solving might help. Probably not, lol, but you never know!

2. GRudger

GRudger

Don't get offended, but is your Caps Lock on? Otherwise, the passport service 'could' be unavailable, so maybe you should wait a bit. Sometimes it can be 'their' fault...

3. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

GRudger makes a good point. Sometimes you cannot connect because the servers could be temporarily down for maintenance or may have reached capacity due to heavy Internet traffic.

If your Passport is not recognized, go to a Passport site (http://www.passport.com or http://www.hotmail.com) sign in, and make sure you are recognized there.
    Definitely check if Caps Lock is on. :D

You also mentioned something about installing Yahoo?

4. *aussie_blondie

Lol, not offended at all. It would be an easy mistakke to make. But, no, caps were off. I even tried putting them on....no help.

I've already signed into my hotmail account with the same name and password.....no probs.

This has been going on for 3 weeks now so not a temporary server prob.

Just been to both those sites......Signed in fine.

Google seems to have a lot of people asking the same question but no answers. At least, none that have worked for me so far.

And I have yahoo but 2 people that I would really like to talk to don't and can't install it.

5. Einsamkeit

Einsamkeit

Rather than using all these different clients, if you solely wish to send text back and forth then perhaps you would be better off with one client that can handle several protocols, such as GAIM. GAIM is free, open source, and GPL licensed. It will only require a fraction of the resources that would be spent on all of your other chatting clients. I'll leave you with a URL that you can visit in the event that you have any interest in this application.

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

6. GRudger

GRudger

Miranda is also good.

7. *aussie_blondie

Well, I'm not sure if this is what cured the problem but I re-installed I.E. And messenger works perfectly now.
    I know that I.E. has to be on the system for messenger to work, even if you never use I.E. So maybe that was it.
    Thank-you for your suggestions. As usual, so much appreciated.

8. Einsamkeit

Einsamkeit

Well, you can't technically uninstall MSIE with Windows. It's always there. It's a slightly modified version of explorer, the main component of the Windows GUI.

9. *aussie_blondie

Just wanted you to know that it happened again. Messenger said invalid name or incorrect password. I re-installed I.E. and all was fine again.

Hope that may be the answer for some people too.

Also, when you go to repair I.E and message says "Can't repair, will have to re-install." If you look at 'Details' there it will tell you which file is missing or corrupt. You may have to replace several files in this way but I was lucky once and it was only one .dll that needed replacing. :)

Thanks again for every-one's help.

10. Einsamkeit

Einsamkeit

I really think that you should remove this useless stress and change the client that you use.

11. *aussie_blondie

Uhmmm, what's a client, please? And what useless stress? Re-installing I.E.?

12. Einsamkeit

Einsamkeit

Here's a brief definition for you.

http://www.geek.com/glossary/glossary_search.cgi?client

"Client - A general term that can mean a few things. In the client/server architecture, a client consists of any machine connected to a network that exchanges data with a server, and can also refer to the person using the machine. In addition, the term client refers to any software that is used on a client machine to exchange data with software running on a server, such as an e-mail client. When you send and receive e-mail you use an e-mail client that connects to an e-mail server."

MSN Messenger would be your client that you use to connect to MS's servers. You keep reinstalling MSIE because it is oddly causing conflicts with MSN Messenger. You could circumvent this issue by using a different client altogether. GAIM, for instance, supports multiple protocols. GAIM can act as a client for Yahoo, MSN, AIM/ICQ, IRC, Napster, JABBER, and more. It might cause you less stress to use it. It wouldn't hurt to try it.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271783

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice