1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Money 2007

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Franghurst, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Franghurst

Franghurst Thread Starter

Out of the clear blue, a couple months ago I started being unable to use a function under "Reports" called "Transactions by Category". I used this report constantly. What happens when I click on it is I get an error message saying "Microsoft Money has stopped working" and the only option is to close the program.

I was unable to find any information about the problem on MS Money website. So I decided to remove Money from my hard drive and reinstall it. I always have current data backups.

I was able to reinstall my data with no problem. When I went to view the report, "Transactions by Category", the exact same thing happened with the same error message. Yes, I could upgrade, but Money 2007 fits my needs just fine. Is there anything you can suggest I try? Thanks so much.

My Computer Info:

Manufacturer: Dell

Model: Inspiron 530S

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80 GHz 1.8 GHz

Hard Drive: 320 GB

Memory: 1.00 GB

System Type: 32-bit

Operating System: Vista Home Basic :-(

2. Stoner

Stoner Banned

3. Franghurst

Kindly read my previous email for system info.

OK, I deleted MS Money 2007 from my computer and installed MS Money Sunset. I restored by last data backup. But I am having the same problem. I am unable to run the report "Transactions By Category". The error message is identical and I must close the program.

This is a crucial element of the program especially with tax season here.

Do you think there is something in the backup that is corrupted? Is there any other way this exact same problem would be occuring in the the Sunset Version?

FYI I am a middleaged woman with blonde hair who is by no means a computer whiz. Just wanted to make that clear to so you if Stoner replies he/she won't feel is necessary to "edited for lack of insensitivity".

Thanks so much for anyone that can give me some help.

4. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Sincerely...I was pointing out that use of MS money products is coming to a halt in the near future as far as online services and your upgrade didn't mention the installation of the now free versions being offered that avoid the need to be authenticated because there will be no online services anymore for that purpose.
    The free versions are said to be the same as the last of the commercial versions except for that issue.

There is always that possibility, but I honestly don't know and have run the version of Money 2000 since I bought it new in 2000 ( I only use it for generating stock portfolios ) without incident.

Money files are supposed to be transferable to Quicken. If you can find a trial of Quicken, you might load it and see if it will read the data.....as a last resort.

Corrupted Money file would act the same in both versions.
    A search on fixing a corrupted Money file brought up this:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4519462_recover-corrupt-microsoft-money-file.html

:D
    If you haven't noticed, the TSG web site allows members to post a comment or witticism at the bottom of our individual posts.
    I hang out in the debate forum a lot and that's my 'signature'......it's only a joke :)

Good luck with your problem.

I might mention, as I do a lot of tax and business record keeping for my family .....I've found PaperPort a better means of record keeping than the method of all data in one proprietary file like Money.

Jack Stone......( and Stoner is my nickname, not my lifestyle :D )

5. Franghurst

OK, well you've given me a couple of things to check in to. ??WHY?? do these things have to happen at tax time. It's gotta be a plot. So frustrating to have all online help with MS just evaporate. Hell, I'd pay hourly to have one of their techs get this figured out.

I'm going to do all that you suggest and also look at the software that you use.

As to your edited for lack of insensitivity comment I thought you had made a bunch of insensitive remarks in your original response and had a second thought about it and went back in and edited out the insensitities. Thought perhaps you were assuming I was a male computer nerd that should have know better. It's easy to read things the wrong way so sorry.

Thanks for your help.

6. stantley

stantley

Have you tried running some of the other reports?

You might be able to take one the other reports and customize it to get it close to what you need.

Maybe Account Transactions or Transactions by Payee. Then go to Customize > Category tab and select the Categories.

7. Franghurst

That's the weird thing. I can access all of the other reports. So I guess I will try and do what you suggest but it is so irritating that there is a report in existence that used to do exactly what I wanted. I wish there was a way to "uncorrupt" a back up file.

I do use Quicken for other client accounts but it is so far from MS Money in capacity.

What a crappy ending to a formerly great program. MS Money RIP.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice