1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Office 2003 PowerPoint (SP2) won't start on WinXP SP2 laptop

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by fmaurais, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fmaurais

fmaurais Thread Starter

First-time poster...

I have a brand new Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop, Windows XP Pro SP2, and have tried installing MS Office 2003 Pro (also SP2) several times, but keep having the same problem...Powerpoint (and only PowerPoint!) won't start properly after the install (?) The install appears to go smoothly, I install as Administrator (even though I am in the Administrator group) with my Symantec Antivirus v9.0 file protect is disabled.

All other MS Office 2003 apps start fine. But PowerPoint always gives me the "Microsoft Office PowerPoint has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" error whenever it is started. Restarting PowerPoint after this only recreates the error.

I've tried Google and Microsoft support searches for the info contained in the "error report" that PowerPoint creates, with no luck. All similar errors that I see on the web suggest that I need to upgrade MS Office to SP2, but I've ALREADY DONE THAT!?!

I've used the same MS Office 2003 install CD on the desktop Dell computer (also WinXP SP2) sitting right next to my laptop without problem (PowerPoint runs just fine there).

The PowerPoint "Error Report" contains the following info...

AppName: powerpnt.exe AppVer: 11.0.8110.0 AppStamp:4519c2a0
    ModName: kernel32.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.2945 ModStamp:44ab9a84
    fDebug: 0 Offset: 00012a5b

Any help on this vexing problem is appreciated.

Fran Maurais
    [email protected]

2. Doug Vitale

Doug Vitale

Go into the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, select Microsoft Office 2003, and then click "Change". Then choose "Reinstall or Repair Microsoft Office 2003". See if that helps.

You say that the disk that you used to install Office already came preinstalled with SP2; yet according to Microsoft, the error you described is fixed in SP2!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906340

Try reinstalling Service Pack 2; you can find it in the "Files in This Download" section at the bottom of this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...C7D5B4DD867&displaylang=en#QuickInfoContainer

If the error still occurs, try asking for help in the Powerpoint newsgroup:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/com...?dg=microsoft.public.powerpoint&lang=en&cr=US

3. fmaurais

fmaurais Thread Starter

I tried the Office "repair" with no luck.

I submitted a post on MS newsgroups "PowerPoint" topic (and will try a few related suggestions on some other posts I read).

Thanks for the reply. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

4. fmaurais

fmaurais Thread Starter

I started my laptop in Safe-Mode, and tried PowerPoint again...I still get the error.

However, I noticed one thing odd. Before I started PP, I checked Windows Task Manager's applications and process lists...nothing unusual, no Office apps were running.

After I failed to start PowerPoint, and all such windows were closed, I checked the Task Manager, and it now shows "EXCEL.EXE" is running?!?

Is there some reason (an MS Office Add-In perhaps?) that causes EXCEL to start when PowerPoint is started? I'm hoping this is a clue to the problem....?

5. fmaurais

fmaurais Thread Starter

Just a followup: I finally found the problem...an offending "add-in" for PowerPoint called "Data Assistant". (of course, the error message doesn't indicate this...)

Apparently, "Microsoft Data Assistant 1.0" is not compatible with Office SP1 or higher.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918415/en-us

Go2doug-- thanks for the reply. Ultimately, it led me to the problem...now solved.

You can remove MS "Data Assistant 1.0" from the Add/Remove Programs...FYI.

Fran

6. DMMc

DMMc

Fran,
    (y)
    Thanks for finding and posting the solution. I have 3 systems that have been having this issue and have about gone off the deep end trying to find a reason. Uninstalled Data assistant and no more issue.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice