1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Office 2013

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by alwrmc, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    Does anyone know if the Preview will be totally separate and not conflict with my installation of Office 2010?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's never been easy or advisable to install multiple versions of Office. I doubt that will be any different with Office 2013 especially a preview edition. It's generally not a good idea to run preview software or operating systems on production computers.

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I would suggest that you use a spare machine.
    Yes, one can run different versions of Office on the same machine, but issue will arise.

Do NOT try and use 2 different versions of Outlook using the same PST file. Some times when you switch to a different version, Word will display a "Installing" message.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What does a file server have to do with Office? I don't get your post.

5. GrNathan

GrNathan

I disagree, DoubleHelix. I have Office 2010 installed and in use for my day to day work. I have installed the Office 2013 preview and am finding that there are only minor inconveniences in having both suites installed (but then again, I have been working in IT for ~20 years, and know enough to get myself out of trouble).

The only glitch that is giving me any serious concern is that Outlook 2013 registered itself as the default app to handle things like 'mailto:nnnn' links and so on. I don't mind if Word 2013 wants to be the default handler for .docx and so on, but I want to keep my email as-is for the moment. For some reason, on my Win7 Enterprise system, the 'Set your default programs' applet in the Control Panel is only giving me the option of 'your current email program' and no other option to select. This means I have to open an email, then attach any files etc, rather than using right-click, send-to-email-recipient type shortcuts, but I can live with this for the moment.

6. GrNathan

GrNathan

To clarify - I disagree that running multiple versions has never been easy. I support the point you make about it not being a good idea to run preview software on production systems, unless you're prepared to get yourself out of whatever strife you get in to.

7. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    GrNathan: I do not use Outlook for my email so that should not be a problem. I'm assuming that when Office 2013 is released that I will purchase/install the military appreciation or Office Home & Student version. I don't have any business use for Office, it's strictly personal use. I do have a lot of files/PDF's/documents in the My Documents folder and I would really hate to lose them. I have for long copied them over to one of my external HD's as a precaution. I'm not 100% sure of this "stored in the cloud" concept. What keeps those files available only to me? What security is there for the "cloud" storage?

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You should always have backup copies of any files/data you do not want to lose. Uninstalling, reinstalling, or installing a second version of Microsoft Office should not have any effect on any of your data files in My Documents.

What cloud storage service are you talking about? There are several, and they function differently. "The cloud" just refers to some set of servers located somewhere. When you watch a video on YouTube, you're essentially streaming it from "the cloud". The video file is on a server somewhere. It's not on your local hard drive.

9. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I really have no solid idea "what cloud storage service". As it is a Microsoft product, I assume that it's theirs in this case (MS Office 2013). Since we live in a world where so many people feel it is ok to simply take things/hack things/claim things as their own etc I am just a bit concerned that a document or photo of mine may start appearing outside it's intended use or area. Just to head off any arguments/comments, I don't believe I have any controversial documents or photos. Never the less, I'd still hate to see them posted somewhere without my approval.

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I haven't read much on Office 2013, but it looks like it's completely cloud-based. Your documents are stored in your SkyDrive account by default. Your files aren't going to just "start appearing" some place. That requires an employee or hacker hacking into your account, stealing your information, and publishing it......where? Some random website? When was the last time you heard of something like that happening with any of the existing cloud file storage services? Could it happen? Sure. Is it likely? Definitely not.

Your e-mail is far less secure, and I guarantee most people would have a heart attack if their personal e-mails were suddenly made public. That's much more likely. It's also very easy for the US government to access your e-mail account with little to no probable cause.

11. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    There is a "Local" install like we have always been using.

It is buried in the page, check out http://office-watch.com/t/n.aspx?a=1728 about mid page is a note and a link to the download.

MS is really pushing the Cloud so it will run on the new "Windows 8 Tablets".

12. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I've given Office 2013 a brief try. It looks very nice, but.....
    1. I started it about 5-6 times, each time it returned a small window saying that it had stopped working and the possible solution blurb. However it would always continue to go on.
    2. I tried a short template with a picture and a text area. The picture required several clicks to replace from a file on my drive. It did not want to delete.
    3. I just decided to remove it. I'll wait for a finished product and the reviews.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1061475

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice