1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Office 2016 VS 2003

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by micromos, Sep 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. micromos

micromos Thread Starter

Hi, it's me the perpetual computer rookie. I have several issues I could use your help with.

1 - I have MS office 2016 and 2003 on my computer. The 2016 is too cumbersome for my taste. My computer defaults to 2016 every time I open a file session of Word or Excel. I want to know if I delete the 2016 version, will the 2003 office automatically take over.
    I have both discs for the 2003 and 2016 so I can reinstall one if in the future if I want.
    Part 1.1 - If I delete the 2016 will that affect my Gmail viewing screen.

2 - Every so often when I open my computer in the morning, the session icons on my desk top that I left the night before are gone/closed. I am thinking that MS is sending updates over night and causing the icons to disappear. Is that a possibility?
    My Dell Inspiron computer is running window 7.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What are these icons to?

Yes, you can uninstall 2016, but you will need to do a Repair on 2003.
    As for the Gmail, if you are using Outlook 2016, then yes

3. micromos

micromos Thread Starter

Sorry to respond so late. When you say I need to repair 2003. Why and what is needed to do? I am like a car owner. I can drive it but am not good at tuning it up! LOL As for Gmail, can't I just uninstall the rest of the 2016 programs and leave the 2016 Outlook? The icons I spoke of are shortcuts to excel programs I have on my desktop. Thanks,

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
  5. micromos

micromos Thread Starter

I read your suggestion but I think I will take my computer to my paid Geek Squad and have them do an update and cleaning. I will ask them about the missing shortcuts. What do you think about my "uninstall the rest of the 2016 programs and leave the 2016 Outlook?" suggestion? ;)

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    I think you will have issues as Outlook uses much of Word and needs to be of the same version.

7. micromos

micromos Thread Starter

Hmm! Maybe leave 2016 Word and uninstall the rest??? Sorry to be so picky.

8. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    There really is not that much difference between 2013 and 2016.
    What is that you are having issues with?

9. micromos

micromos Thread Starter

I don't like the fact that the 2016 version is cluttered at the top with a lot features and spots that I have to click on to use where I used to simply right click, especially on Word. On Word, just to save the document I have to go to "FILE" first and then click on save. It also take longer to load. I guess I just don't like change. It worked fine for me before.

10. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    All you have to do is click the floppy disk icon in the upper left of the screen. This is the Save icon.
    Do you also have the ribbon bars hidden?

11. micromos

micromos Thread Starter

Hmmm. Ribbon bars are new to me. Who knew! I just found them thanks to you. Maybe I will try out the 2016 for a while and experiment. I just typed on the 2016 Word and "paragraph?" emblem shows up at the end of the sentence. How do I keep that from being there?

12. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Click on the backwards "P" that in on the 'Home" ribbon bar and in the 'Paragraph" section.

13. micromos

micromos Thread Starter

Thanks!:)

14. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    When I installed Office 2016, I wasn't given the option to install just one or two components. It was all or nothing.

15. micromos

micromos Thread Starter

Hmm. A while ago I uninstalled "One Note" because it kept coming up when I wanted to print to my printer. Tonight I see it is back on my program list! I wonder if the MS 2016 updates puts it back on my computer. Not nice. I would think I can uninstall one of the programs without touching the others.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice