1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS office attachment does not open in IE9

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by js73, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. js73

js73 Thread Starter

I got an email (Yahoo) with a *.doc attachment. I can not open or save the documnet in IE9 (I have Office 2007 installed). No such problem in Firefox or Google Chrome). Grateful for your help. I have Windows 7 (64-bit) home premium and Norton 2011 AVS.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Why can't you? What happens?

3. js73

js73 Thread Starter

Nothing happens. I click on the attachment, it is checked for virus, asks for permission to use MS office Word, and then, nothing! I have tried to reset internet options through advanced settings in the internet options, but no success. I tried to save the document, but it does not seemto save it anywhere. As I said, I can open the documents in Firefox and in Chrome, but not in IE9.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Save it first, and then try opening it.

5. js73

js73 Thread Starter

Can not save it, as I said in the first posting. Nothing happens when I try to save or save as.

6. js73

js73 Thread Starter

I tried to uninstall IE9, and the document opened in IE8 without any problems. Reinstalling IE9 brings back the non-opening of the attachment.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

So you don't see this attached message? If you click Save, did you check your Downloads folder for it?

Attached Files:

8. js73

js73 Thread Starter

I see the attached thumbnail, but when I try to save it,nothing happens. Nothing in the download folder.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you're clicking Save, then it's saving. You just have to find it.

In IE, click the gear in the upper right corner, and click View Downloads. Click Options. What is the default download location?

10. js73

js73 Thread Starter

It seems to me that the attachment may be a bit different, since I can open other *.doc attachments in IE9; just not this attachment (though I could open it in IE8 and Firefox and Chrome), I can not find it on my computer, though I used the search function. My default download location is "downloads".

It is not a major problem since I can look at the attachment in other browsers; just can not understand why it does not open in IE9. Many thanks.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1023109

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice