1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Office Excel 2003 "Unable to Read File"

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by GalinsBaby2, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GalinsBaby2

GalinsBaby2 Thread Starter

Using Windows Vista, I have a Microsoft Office Excel 2003 file which I use regularly. It is password-protected, contains Macros and has many sheets which contain linked formulas between sheets.

Yesterday, I went to open it after I used it several times throughout the day. It's now giving me a "Unable To Read File". I clicked "OK" "Enabled Macros", typed in password, and it gave me "Excel found unreadable content in myfilename.xls. Do you want to recover the contents of this Workbook? If you trust this Workbook, click Yes." I clicked "Yes", and it took me back to click "Enable Macros" again, then to insert password again. Then it gives me the "Unable To Read File" again, then password again. Then it brings up a window with "Damage to the file was so extensive that repairs were not possible. Excel attempted to recover your formulas and values, but some data may have been lost or corrupted." I clicked "Close".

When I looked at the sheets, it just contained alot of numbers; no format or words, etc.

I've tried to open it in Word, as others have suggested, but it has not worked. Can someone help me recover this file? I really need the contents in it's original format.

Thank you in advance.

2. slurpee55

slurpee55

Do you have Access? It might be able to either link to or import the spreadsheet.
    Word won't deal with it too well if there are formatting problems.
    Also, make a copy of the original file into another folder and try opening the new file without enabling macros.

3. GalinsBaby2

Tried to link/import using Access, but unsuccessful. I think it may be because it's multiple worksheets, it wants me to save separately, but I can't get into the file to separate worksheets to save individually.

I also saved into a different folder & same thing is happening. Thanks, anyway.

4. GalinsBaby2

Halleluyah! I got it!
    In Explorer, I right-clicked on my Excel file. I selected "Restore Previous Versions".
    It comes up with list of the my many previously saved versions.
    I selected the last one I had saved, and I was able to recover the previous version.

Yeah! I'm so happy. Shewwwh; pretty scared there for a bit. Thank you, Slurpee55, for attempting to help me.

5. slurpee55

slurpee55

Glad you got it - can be scary, I know the feeling!
    Please use the button at the top of the page to mark this thread as Solved. :)

6. GalinsBaby2

P.S. I'm not marking this as solved yet because, although I was able to open the previous version, I still did not open the actual last version of the "Unable to Read" file. I did make a copy of the "non-openable" file before recovering the previous version. Maybe someone'll be able to instruct on how to actually open such a file. Thanks.

7. slurpee55

slurpee55

If the file got corrupted, it will remain unreadable - there are data extraction services that might be able to get it back in whole or in part, but they tend to be quite expensive, so, unless you lost an incredible amount of work, or data worth a ton of money, I wouldn't bother with them.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/931024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice