1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Office Installation Error Messages

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Deedledum, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deedledum

Deedledum Thread Starter

I am experiencing some problems loading the software I bought second-hand on ebay (which I am hoping isn't the reason I am having problems!) I wondered if any you could shed some light on this. I appreciate the item was not new, but I would have expected the installation to be fine. I have 'CD Key', which is a 11 digit number on the back of the installation disc. Should this be a 25 digit key to phone / contact MSoft with?

I did not uninstall the trial version of MS OFfice 2010 I already have on my lap top first. Should I do this?

The error messages are as follows:
    1) "An error has occurred changing the workgroup database"
    2) "Setup couldn't create a SYSTEM.MDW file. "
    3) "After SEtup is completed, reboot your PC then run the workgroup Admin before you run this app (-1011)"
    3) "vbe.dll was unable to register itself in the registry"

I hope one of you can help here or its £20 down the drain!

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You need a 25-digit key to install Office. If you only paid $31 for a full Office 2010 suite and license, it's highly likely to be illegal.

3. Deedledum

Deedledum Thread Starter

Is it possible this is merely a case of not uninstalling my freebie MSOffice trial first? Think I am going to give that a go tomorrow anyway.
    The dealer who sold the disc is highly rated on ebay.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A high rating is not a guarantee of a legal license. If you don't have a 25-digit key, you will not be able to install whatever you bought.

5. Deedledum

Deedledum Thread Starter

When I bought this the ad referred to a key. The key as it turns out is a CD key. The message accompanying the CD key says: "Don't lose this number! You must use it every time you install the software, so be sure to store this case in a safe place." When I uninstalled, I rebooted as seller advised then reinstalled. This led me to the the 25 digit code.

So far so good.
    However, when rebooted after reinsatllation, Access, Word and Excel seem fine but the key software package I need, namely Outlook will not open - no explanation jsut cannot open. the icon is in my start menu. I am going to try another reinstall and fingers crossed.

During installation I get these messages - don't know if they are connected:
    1. An error has occurred at changing the workgoup databse
    2 Setup couldn't create a SYSTEM.MDW file. After setup is completed, reboot then run workgroup Administrator before you run this App (-1011)

I did this and got "Create, Join or Exit" I exited. I have no idea if this is connected to Outlook and if not am not too bothered right now. It is OUTLOOK whis is my BIG concern. I attach the files that are installed in the attached image. There is no EXE file...

Went here: but my pathways are not the same as MS suggest : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2022778/en-us

Attached Files:

6. Deedledum

Deedledum Thread Starter

Gave in once more and downloaded freebie trial from MS Office... that'll buy me another two months breathing space! (How long can I keep this up!)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice