Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

MS Office July Updates

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Cookiegal 
#1 ·
The MS Office July updates contains a new file validation utility - "Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in"

Questions

1. Is this Add-in really necessary? And if it is why?

2. The Add-in has been developed outside of Microsoft by a 3rd-party. I would have thought that Microsoft would have developed this type of code themselves. Why the 3rd-party?

T.

#4 ·
Hi Cookiegal, thanks for your feedback.

There is a separate license agreement for this update which reads in part as follows : "Microsoft Corporation (or based on where you live, one of its affiliates......"

If this is MS code - why the separate license agreement? And why the bit about "affiliates" ?

T.

#5 ·
I don't know the answer but it doesn't concern me. This exists in many of their various product EULA's which mention that they contain third-party software. Perhaps it's a simple component that was incorporated or used for distribution but that would just be a guess on my part. :)

#11 ·
Thanks to all for the interesting comments.

As Cookiegal has mentioned, some users are experiencing a few issues with this update.

As I am very dependent upon MS Office for my normal daily functioning I have decided to delay installing this update until the reported issues have been resolved.

Not sure if this is the wise option in terms of security but it is (for me at least) the middleground between a Rock and a Hard Place :eek:

T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.