1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Office Outlook keeps replacing OE

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Mutti, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mutti

Mutti Thread Starter

I don't know what keeps causing this; is there a way to make OE my permanent email client? If it matters, I'm using XP.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Let me guess. You applied Windows Updates recently. This is a bug with Office that when it's updated, it reverts to the default e-mail client. I've tries several "fixes" I've found on the web, and nothing's worked. I have to manually change it back to Outlook Express after applying updates.

3. Mutti

Mutti Thread Starter

I don't know about Windows Updates, but I can tell you *when* it happens: when the other people who use this computer switch desktops -- this despite the fact that they don't use any email program. Is there any way to uninstall Outlook?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Yes. Go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall it. However, this will affect everyone who uses the computer, and if you share the system with others, you might want to discuss it with them first.

5. Mutti

Mutti Thread Starter

Hmm, Outlook doesn't show up under Add/Remove Programs, neither does OE for that matter. Nor under Add/Remove Windows Components. Something under Administrative Tools maybe?

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Outlook is probably installed as part of the Microsoft Office suite. You'd have to select the option to modify installed Office components in Add/Remove Programs.

Outlook Express is part of Windows, and I don't believe it can be removed.

Again, use caution in messing with an application on a shared computer. Does this system belong to you? Or is it a company computer? Do you have the Office install disks to reinstall if something goes wrong?

Having multiple user accounts with different e-mail settings should not cause the problem you're experiencing. There's probably something else going on with the system.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice