1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Office SR1 Setup message box

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by rogers55, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rogers55

rogers55 Thread Starter

When starting a new install of a tax program on Win 2000 and Win XP workstations the splash screen displays with a message box partially hidden behind it. The hidden message shows on the task bar as "MS Office SR1 Setup, Disk 1".
    Can not get the hidden window to come to the foreground.
    If I end task then both programs terminate.
    I have about ten customers who have encountered this.
    They install the new app when logged in as administrator or user with admin privileges.

One user has found a work around of logging on as administrator or changing shortcut to start program as Administrator.

Has any one else experienced this or have a solution

tia,
    Roger

2. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself

Do you have SP-2 for Win 2k?

3. rogers55

rogers55 Thread Starter

Down...,
    I have duplicated the problem on a Win 2000 computer with SR2.
    On that computer the hidden message says MS Office 2000.
    It is unlikely that all of my customers have the service packs installed though.

Roger

4. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself

I swear I've seen this one before, but I can't turn up anything on MSKB. Have you tried a detect and repair of MS Office? Do all your apps work right? Are all Office service packs installed?

Sounds like some sort of administrative problem, indeed, e.g. the person installing doesn't have rights, but Office is intercepting that... Do all Office apps work correctly?

5. rogers55

rogers55 Thread Starter

Finally found the solution. I will list it here in case it comes up in the future.
    When using MS Office 2000 on the Windows 2000 or XP operating systems the Office installation has to be completed for each user of the computer.
    When you start one of the Office products the Windows Installer will prompt you for the Office CD. The installer writes data to the user profile in the registry.
    If you start a third-party program that uses MSComctl.ocx the same Windows Installer message will appear. In our case the message was hidden behind the programs splash screen.
    The solution is to start an Office component, Word, Excel, Access, etc, put the CD in when prompted to allow the setup to complete for the user.
    The problem is described in detail in Q298385.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66695

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice