MS Outlook 20016 not responding

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Warthog1

Steve
Hi

I'm running Windows 10 on a Dell Inspron 17 5000 series laptop.

A couple days ago, my Outlook hung up on an email I was trying to send to approx 60 contacts. It hasn't worked properly ever since. I've run the MS repair of MS Office through the Control Panel. It all seemed to work, but every time I start into a new email the screen grays out and the banner shows (not responding). I don't think there's a way to isolate Outlook from MS Office and uninstall/reinstall and I'm a bit leery of uninstalling Office because I'm not sure how to reinstall.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks

Office 2016 extended support is until 2025, so first thing to try out is to update office.

Next step if update doesn't resolve the problem is to create a new e-mail account and set it in office. and see if it works.

Couriant

James
Or... Create a new profile and add your current email account to that.

But first, try Outlook in Safe Mode. To get safe mode you can either 1) Hold down CTRL before starting Outlook or 2) type in the search bar outlook.exe /safe and press enter. If you can use Outlook without issue, then you have an add-on that is causing the problem. If you continue to have issues, then let's look at the profile.

To create a new profile, with Outlook closed, go to Control Panel > Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2016). Click on Show Profiles then click on Add...

1601918713431.png

Type in anything you want here (ex. Test Profile) and press OK. This should trigger the setup for your email account.

Side note: If you wish to set the account later, click Cancel, then OK to create the profile without an account.

Next, click on Always use this profile and select your new profile name, then click on Apply/OK.

1601918850392.png

Then try Outlook again in normal mode.

If the new profile doesn't work either, then it does sound like Outlook is the problem and you will need to reinstall it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online