1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Outlook 2k "cannot turn off reminder"

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by cyberfly, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cyberfly

cyberfly Thread Starter

I work with office 2000. Windows 2000. About 1 month ago I got a new PDA and aside from the fact that all my appointments duplicate in calendar and to do... I have another issue. I have three old appts. that won't go away. They pop up a reminder and when I hit dismiss or snooze I get the following box reading "Cannot turn off the reminder. You may be reminded again. The end date you entered occurs before the start date." If I try to open the item to fix the date problem I get "Cannot open the item for this reminder, The end date you entered occurs before the start date". So every five minutes are so these three are popping up and I can't get rid of them. I've tried repair and I've uninstalled and reinstalled outlook, office and updated all the office updates from Microsofts website. Two of them are recurring so I went into recurrence and tried to get rid of them that way and it's not letting me delete anything. It's driving me crazy. Please help.
    Thanks,
    CC

2. arealtor4u

arealtor4u

I am having the exact same problem. Any luck on the fix?

3. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

4. arealtor4u

arealtor4u

Ok I tried the outlook /cleanreminders

And it did not work.

Maybe my problem is not exactly the same.

I am running windows XP home version and my exact error messages are

When the reminder comes up and I try to open it I get

"Cannot open the item for this reminder. The end date you entered occurs before the start date"

When I try to dismiss the reminder I get

"Cannot turn off the reminder. You may be reminded again. Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid."

5. kkdenton

kkdenton

I finally paid Microsoft for the answer. Here it is:

S: (Subjective)
    Past Reminders keep firing with below errors every time Outlook is opened.

while dismiss them- "Cannot turn off the reminder. You may be reminded again. the end date you entered occurs before the start date"

while try to open the related item- "Cannot open the item for this reminder. The end date occurs before the start date"

O: (Objective)[Environment]

PRODUCT VERSION AND SERVICE RELEASES

Windows 2000
    Service Pack 4
    Exchange Version: 5.5
    Exchange SP: 4

A: (Assessment)
    Ø Logged on to the mailbox using Outlook and found the same symptoms.

Ø Carried out the below steps to delete the items in Reminders folder.

Download MFCMAPI tool from http://support.microsoft.com/?ID=291794

1. Run MFCMAPI on the desktop
    2. Go to Session->Logon and Display Store Table
    3. Select your profile
    4. Select Mailbox
    5. Expand "Root Container"
    6. Right click “Reminders" and select "Open Contents Table"
    7. New Window Launches with Title Reminders
    8. Select all the reminder items listed there, Right click and select "Delete Message"
    9. Close MFCMAPI

Ø Reopened Outlook and don't find the past Reminders firing again. The issue got resolved.

Good Luck!

6. sraman26

sraman26

This is the exact message I get everytime I open my Outlook(2003). I get all the previous meetings/ reminders/ tasks etc. They never go away but keep on adding. And when I try to select one and say delete I get the following message.

"Cannot turn off the reminder. You may be reminded again. Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid"

This message was extremely helpful. Thanks a lot. It solved my problem. Appreciate :) !

7. bestof89

bestof89

I was having the identical issue with the calendar, but when I deleted all of the reminders, it also deleted all of my appointments going forward.

I found some of the appointments in the deleted folders box, but when I put them back, I started the getting the original message - "Cannot turn off the reminder..." again.

FYI. I was using outlook 1007 with exchange server, I don't know if that matters.

An immense pain.

8. 300soarer

300soarer

This worked! I'm using Outlook 2007 on Vista and it still worked

The only difference was instead of:

4. Select Mailbox

I had to Select - MDB, then "Open default message store".

Thanks! (y)

9. haasc

haasc

I am experiencing the same problem; however, when I go to right click "Delete" I get the following two error messages:

Error:
    Code: MAPI_E_CORRUPT_STORE == 0x80040600
    Function lpSourceFolder->CopyMessages( lpEIDs, NULL, lpWasteFolder, NULL, NULL, MESSAGE_MOVE|MESSAGE_DIALOG)
    File E:\MFCMAPI\5.0.18\MAPIFunctions.cpp
    Line 1046

Error:
    Code: MAPI_E_CORRUPT_STORE == 0x80040600
    Function DeleteToDeletedItems( lpMDB, (LPMAPIFOLDER) m_lpContainer, lpEIDs)
    File E:\MFCMAPI\5.0.18\FolderDlg.cpp
    Line 595

Does anyone have a solution?

10. haasc

haasc

By the way, when I go to dismiss, amend or delete any reminder I get the following message:

"Cannot turn off the reminder. You may be reminded again. Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid".

11. haasc

haasc

The problem appears to be getting worse as now I cannot open up my Contacts. I receive an error message that states:

"Can't open this item. Errors have been detected in the file C:\Documents and Settings etc. Quit Outlook and all mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the file. For more information about the Inbox repair tool, see Help."

I've tried the repair tool, including placing my CD-ROM containing my Office 2003 Edition, but receive an error message there too which states that I have an outdated version(?).

Regarding the Scanpst.exe, I try to launch that application but receive the following error message:

"Windows cannot find 'Scanpst.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again."

I tried searching for 'Scanpst.exe' on my computer using the search tool and finally located it but when it asked what file to open you can imagine my suprise that I have no "Local Settings" folder in my Documents and Settings folder.

Does anyone know what might going on?

12. Dreadnought27

Dreadnought27

I was also suffering from the dreaded "could not save item. could not complete the operation. one or more parameter values no valid" problem - but my issue stemmed from a task imported from my iPhone. The MFGMAPI solution reported back in December 2004 did work for me, except that I selected Personal Folders, then Tasks, THEN I selected reminders, right clicked to "Open Contents Table" and found my rogue reminder with an error code. Deleted it, and haven't been bothered since.

Fourteen weeks of constant reminders was driving me up the wall. I am DELIGHTED that this has been fixed.

Oh, and BTW - I am using XP with SP2 installed, and Outlook 2003.

13. spd33

spd33

I had the exact problem that you describe. I kept receiving the same 10 reminders and could not even delete them via the MfcMapi tool. I kept getting similar errors to yours. I actually experienced the same reminder issue twice. The first time I was able to use the MfcMapi tool however that deleted most of my calendar entries entirely, DOH!!!

I was finally able to resolve the problem the 2nd time by deleting my .ost file that contained my offline email/calendar data. The file was recreated from scratch after I deleted it and then my pesky reminders were gone. You can find your .ost location by going in to Outlook Tools/Account Settings/Data Files.

14. Tuph

Tuph

15. clevo

clevo

I have the same issue described in this thread, however my problem is that these fixes will not work for me.
    I keep receiving the same reminders everytime I open outlook 2007 and can't delete them using the MfcMapi tool. The tool shows the problem entries and their detail shows multiple errors. I can't delete the enrty or it's detail.
    If I open calendar in Outlook and go to view/current view/active appointment, they do not show there, nor do they display on the calendar itself.
    I have tried everying including scanpst and cleanreminders and any other suggestions on various forums but with no luck.
    I really don't know what to do now, all current resolutions appear to have been found with the MfcMapi tool.
    I would appreciate any help.
    I'm using Vista Ultimate SP3 with Microsoft Office 2007. All up to date.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275215

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice