1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Publisher 98 won't mirror images

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by dennis149, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dennis149

dennis149 Thread Starter

I'm using Microsoft Publisher 98 and have found in its Help file statements that it can only do a mirror flip on images and Word-Art. Yet I cannot find the mirror flip icon anywhere in the program menus. I can find the rotate functions easily enough, but no mirror flip. My Publisher 2000 at work has exactly the same statements in its Help file, and I can find and use the mirror flip function OK. Is this function just missing by mistake in Publisher 98? Hidden in some other yet-to-be-found place?
    Thanks for your help.
    -- Dennis149 in West Virginia.

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    It only works for people in PA, NJ, MD, and DE. Doesn't work for people in WV. LOL!!

Okay....I didn't find anything, but wanted to get you moving on...

Copy the graphic into Paint and flip it there? Send it to me and I'll flip it/them for ya?

[email protected]

3. dennis149

dennis149 Thread Starter

> Doesn't work for people in WV.

I wouldn't be surprised, Dreamboat! :-D

Thanks for your quick reply.

I can use my Paintshop program to flip the images, and even to flip the WordArt generated in Publisher. But I can look at Publisher's Help file and the instructions are RIGHT THERE, that it can do exactly what I want to do. I could've flipped a dozen images in Paintshop and finished my whole project in the time I've spent chasing through all possible menu options looking for what Publisher says is there.

Have a good day.
    -- Dennis149 in WV.

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    So you think it's a toolbar/menu thing? Like...missing?
    I don't know Publisher (much), but have you tried right-clicking your menu(s) and toolbar(s) and hitting Customize, then selecting each one and hit RESET?

5. dennis149

dennis149 Thread Starter

Seems like it would be a strange glitch to lose only one icon in a toolbar. The other rotating/inverting icons in the Formatting toolbar are there just as described in Help. The instructions to access these are incorrect, too. They say to double-click on the WordArt image to get the Flip icon. Single-clicking works, but if you double-click you go instead to the WordArt menu.

I haven't seen a "Customize" option for a Publisher toolbar. I'll look for that, but later. I'm running very late now in this project and in a number of others I have to do. (This is the iron-on transfer image for club t-shirts for a bunch of kids that are expecting their shirts by Thursday.) So it's back-and-forth with Paintshop to do the flipping.

Have a good day.
    -- Dennis

6. dennis149

dennis149 Thread Starter

Oops... meant to say that single-clicking works to access the formatting tool. The Flip icon is still missing.
    --dennis

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    >>>Seems like it would be a strange glitch to lose only one icon in a toolbar.

No way. Happens all the time. Hang tight. I saw LOTS of stuff about iron on transfers when I was looking!!

Go here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;kbhowto&sd=TECH&ln=EN-US&FR=0

Choose Publisher (no version) as the product.

Type "flip" in the keywords box.

There were lots o' articles about iron on transfer type needs!

8. dennis149

dennis149 Thread Starter

Thanks for the link! I'll try its method when I get home. It may give me somewhat better quality than I'm getting now.

The instructions on the Microsoft site are even more limited than in Publisher: "This feature is only available for objects that are created in Microsoft Publisher, such as oval, box, and custom shapes. " -- doesn't mention WordArt or external images, just shapes made in Publisher. Maybe I can get Publisher to flip an empty oval shape. Yeah, that'll be useful!
    ;-)

--Dennis

9. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I have found that, in Word at least, I get more flexibility out of a graphic if I cut it, then hit Edit-Paste special, as a picture (enhanced metafile). See if you get any additional functions to become available after doing that.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice