1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Publisher Sloooooow

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by tonysi, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonysi

tonysi Thread Starter

Hi

Just had a customer bring in a laptop with a 2.79MB publisher file - almost all text - no photos and no clipart. 27 pages long.

She had been working on this file last week and it was "normal" but when she opened it this week to continue working on it, it had become very slow.

Tried it on another computer and same problem. It literally takes over a minute to click File, Save As!!!

Why is it so slow? What do I do to speed it up?? I have tried reducing it to three smaller docs - each of 8 or 9 pages but no change.

TIA

Tony

2. onemorcast

onemorcast

Hi,

Did you ever find a solution for the slow running Publisher issue? I have had the same problem on a ten page newsletter with two to three pages of pictures. I always thought it was because of the high photo content. Then I reconstructed the whole newsletter from scratch and still no change when you go to save any changes.

Hank

3. tonysi

tonysi Thread Starter

Sorry for the slow reply - been away on holiday for a week :)

No onemorcast - no solution. No pics at all in this one.

Tony

4. onemorcast

onemorcast

tonysi,

I have had good results recently in making Publisher operate at a near normal speed. Open "Design Checker" and shut off all of the design check features that you don't use, then when you have done that, CLOSE design Checker and only turn it on when you want to do a comprehensive check. I closed all but one check option, the one for picture proportion, and Publisher now seems normal, especially when I hit "save". I was quite surprised to find every option in Design Checker turned "on".

I must have that one check option "on" because we run a large amount of aircraft pictures in our ten page newsletter and they must be exact on their proportions when illustrated.

Good luck, I hope this helps solve your problem.

Hank

5. tonysi

tonysi Thread Starter

Hi Hank

Thx

Will try sometime next week when we get back to the customer.

Thx again

Tony

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!