1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Sidewinder

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bear5732, Sep 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bear5732

Bear5732 Thread Starter

Ok heres the problem, I own a Compaq 6029us computer with a compaq mobo, built in sound/video/usb etc. I have a MS sidewinder dual strike(about a year old) and am running on Windows Home XP(compaq version). My last computer was built by me and I had no problems plugging in the joystick to the USB and Windows XP PRO would autodetect it. In fact It still works with my other system.
    When I plug in the joystick on this computer I get nothing. When I go to add to my Game Controllers it says "Your gameport or gameport drivers are not properly configured. Please see the Device Manager."
    So in the device manager there is no gameport under sound,video, game controllers tab. I tried manually installing a gameport(standard, Ess, Neomagic etc.) and none of them work. I looked on MS for some drivers but MS claims that they are all built into windows. I tried looking for gameport drivers from Compaq(waste of time), I called compaq and asked them about this problem. They couldn't tell me how to install a gameport(though they said I should have one) and they told me it was a problem with the joystick and I would have to contact MS for help, which is not true because the joystick works fine on my other computer. I know its because there is no gameport/driver. But they couldn't get one to work and couldn't explain why . So that was a waste of time.
    Now Im using a Compaq Mobo with built-in Sound, Soundmax and in the past the gameport was always connected to the soundcard, so I tried searching through their website for drivers or help. There is nothing there and all they do is tell you to contact Compaq for support.
    So I am at lost, do I not have gameport/drivers? Does this mean it is impossible to hook up a joystick to my computer? Do I have them but Compaq doesn't know how to install them properly?
    I have tested one game to see if my joystick would be found by the game, but nothing happened. So who knows?
    Any suggestions other then contact Compaq for support would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

:confused: Bear5732

2. Norwalker

Norwalker

I don't know if this will be helpful or not

I also have a Microsoft Sidewinder, but it is on a Gateway( old beastie) on windows 98. When I first installed it, I had a problem with it not being detected( after first installing the driver) . Finally, tried the second port( I am stubborn) and viola, it found it.

Maybe it will "see" it on the other port?

3. RandyG

RandyG

Have you tried http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/sidewinder/SWUpdate/DualS/DS-Trouble.asp yet?

As Norwalker said, it could be the port. Do you have any other USB devices that you can test this theory on?

In Devie Manager, is there a listing for Universal Serial Bus Controllers?

Have you also installed the software and what version is it? Do you have multiple versions of the software?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/94657

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice