1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ms trackball optical mouse owners check here!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rameam, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rameam

rameam Thread Starter

If you own and have used a Microsoft TrackBall Optical mouse, have you had problems with the ball sticking? Have you also had problems with the software?

I can use the mouse for a while and it may work fine, then all of a sudden I find a hard spot when trying to turn the ball. I clean the thing, clean my hands, do everything I think would cause the problem, but no luck. I've had two and both do the same. I'm about to check out the third one.

I also have problems when I assign the buttons in a specific program like Word. Sometimes I click the left button, which is the normal left click, and the scroll wheel will turn one click, highlighting a half page. Sometimes when I'm on the desktop, I left click and the right click menu comes up.

What I'm wanting to know is, are there others experiencing the same or other problems. If so and you have found solutions, please post them.

Thanks. :)

2. rdsmith99

rdsmith99

I occasional have the sticking problem. Futzing with it seems to make it go away for a while.

3. junker39

junker39

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005853X/102-6869392-9377711?v=glance
    If this is the same mouse, I've got three of them in use. If you'll pop the ball out, you'll see four small plastic "tits" that hold the ball in place.They are right on the outside edge of the red plastic. Take a sharp knife or razor and slice these off even with the rest of the plastic. The ball will still stay put but the small amount of friction they cause will make the ball stick. Don't mess with the ones further inside with the ball looking thing. Those are the ball guides.
    If you're using the Intellipoint 3.1 software, try using the 3.2 version. Or vice-versa. I don't remember which I'm using. The only screwy thing one of mine does is when right clicking on something, it scrolls about three lines. Didn't do it with 98 but does with 2000. I've learned to live with it. Good luck.

4. rameam

rameam Thread Starter

As I alluded to in my first post, I took the first one back to CompUSA and exchanged it. It did the same. I had been talking to Ms about it. They sent me another one, so I had two. The one Ms sent me did the same, so I wound up sending it back for a refund of my original purchase price. Because I complained so much about it, the support people sent me the the better(?) Trackball (can't remember what it's called), which I immediately took to CompUSA and exchanged it for a 5 button (cheap) optical mouse and a battery backup plus a few dollars back. The extra Trackball I still had I sold in a garage sale for $10.

I was really disappointed in them. Thought they would work better. Didn't try cutting the little 'tits' off. Sounds like a winner.

Thanks for the info!

5. junker39

junker39

At least you got something out of them. I'm not sure I could navigate very good with a regular mouse anymore. This ball has got me too lazy to move my hand. Good to see you got things straightened out.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!