1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Updates And The continous restarts

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by EarthTech, Nov 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EarthTech

EarthTech Thread Starter

After several gloomy days of talking to Compaq and posts here I finaly decided to experiment with this system.

History: After suddenly getting constant restarts which eventually turned to dreaded blue screen errors I called Compaq. They had nme to change this, that and the other nothing worked and sometimes the system would start up and run for short periods before restarting. After checking the HD, fans, temps, power supply, drivers, and all sorts of other goodies I decided to formatt, use killdisk, and reload windows. After reloading I didnot have the problem so I considered it fixed. I added all the spyware programs and ran those removing all the goodies that come with a new install. I then proceeded to download SP1 for xp pro along with IE6 SP1. The system was still running great . I left it like this for 2 days and no restarts or blue screens. I then downloaded the rest of the updates for xp pro. After a short time pasted the restarts and errors began again and continued until the system would not even boot beyond click click. I then formated, used killdisk, and reloaded xp pro again. 2 days have past I have installed SP1 for both xp pro and IE along with the anti spyware and all is running good. I am leaving it like this to see if the restarts happen again. I will repost if they do.

I posted this in hopes that someone can help or to see if anyone else has reloaded and not udated and the problem went away or has reloaded and updated windows and the problem returned.

THIS PROBLEM MAY BE UNIQUE TO MY SYSTEM, PLEASE DO NOT DO AS I HAVE POSTED AS IT MAY CAUSE LOSS OF DATA. THIS WAS POSTED AS INFORMATION ONLY. IF YOU HAVE SIMILAR PROBLEMS PLEASE START A THREAD IF YOU HAVE NOT. POST YOUR PROBLEM THERE FOR THE TECHS HERE TO LOOK AT.

2. Memory_Loss

Memory_Loss

Did you use software that came with the compaq system? I usually try to avoid using that software when re-doing a system.

The biggest reason is that it puts alot of software on your system that doesn't need to be there.

I believe you are on the right path with this statement.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!