1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ms Windows Explorer Not Recognizing Mass Storage Device

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by dworth1, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dworth1

dworth1 Thread Starter

Hello,
    This is my first ever question to this site so be patient. I have called and emailed several computer sites and been on hold to the vendor several times and they can't help me.
    First of all let me say that I am more than a novice computer user but less than advanced. I have solved some viruses and other computer problems for myself and some friends. If you can help me I would be more than happy. Actually I would pay someone to help me that's how serious (maybe desperate I am).
    Tech info:
    I have a HP Pavillion 6640C desktop computer. Purchased at FutureShop in Western Canada. 40 G HDD. approx. 300 m ram. I have had some minor troubles but over all the machine is ok. Not the fastest but my family and I find it just fine. I am running MS Windows 98.
    Question:
    I received a BenQ 1500 Digital Camera as a present. The camera works fine. I installed the necessary software that came with the camera. Just to let you know on one of my calls to BenQ the tech had me download new 1500 software from their website but it did not help. To get the digital pictures off of the camera (called mass storage) I have to go to Windows Explorer and view the pictures under a drive letter issued by the computer resources I suppose. I can then copy the ones I wish to keep and export them to MS Picture It! or some other software for editing or simply print 'em off. I can also delete the ones that I don't want. I plugged the device into the machine using the USB port (my machine has two ports I checked both). I checked that the mass storage device was in Windows Explorer and it was not there. I checked that the device was being recognized by the computer under MY Computer and it was not being recognized there either. However it is recognized in System Properties - Universal Serial Bus Controllers. The computer knows that the camera is on the USB but it doesn't recognize the mass storage device in Windows Explorer!
    To futher check the problem I installed the software on my Laptop. It is a Dell Latitude also running MS Windows 98. I plugged the camera into the USB port and instantly the mass storage device is issued a device drive letter and recognized.
    I was able to manipulate the pictures just fine on the laptop.
    Please help me figure out why MS Windows 98 Explorer / USB and supporting software does not recognize my digital camera on my HP.
    Regards,
    David

2. Cdn Cowgirl

Cdn Cowgirl

Hello David. I also have one of these cameras. It's a great little camera. But...I also have never been able to get my Win98 machine to recognize it as a mass storage device. Mucked around for a month with it, and never have been able to solve this prob. We have never been able to pull the picts off with this computer. The specs indicate the software should be used with 98SE. I don't know if this is the problem or not seeing as both you and I have only 98. We now take the pictures off using an XP machine. A friend of mine has the same camera, and has hooked it up successfully using, 98, ME, and XP. Another friend also has the same, and has hooked it up to 98 as well. Go figure! I am wondering what version of Direct X you are using? In the manual it specifies 8.1 if I remember correctly. Did you update Direct X when you installed the software? Another thing I am wondering which possibly someone from this forum could answer...is there a difference in USB between 98 and 98SE? Maybe this is our problem.

I have pretty much given up on getting this camera to work properly If you ever come across a solution I would appreciate it if you would let me know as well. :)

Cowgirl

3. griffinspc

griffinspc

It could be 98 vs. 98SE. Like any USB device it must have drivers. As an example if you buy a USB storage device it will be recognized immediately with W2k and XP but requires separate loadable drivers to be used by W98.

I have a Sony that works about 70% of the time with W98 and 100% with W2K. I've downloaded the latest W98 drivers but it just doesn't seem to be stable. The other thing I'd check is whether this camera is USB 2.0 and not backward compatible with USB 1.1 which is likely what you're both running. I'm just guessing here since I don't own a camera but.....

4. dworth1

dworth1 Thread Starter

Thanx for the replies. Yes I did update Direct X. I have also thought about the Windows 98 and Windows 98SE idea. I will keep pressing on and if I find out anything I will post on here. Next day off I am going to call BenQ and insist on an engineer rather than a tech.
    Regards,
    David

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice