1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Word 2000 and Use of Fields

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Mr Al-B, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr Al-B

Mr Al-B Thread Starter

Hey folks,

Just an idle productivity question.

Assuming I wish to key in the name "John Doe" in the beginning of a contract document as a field and have the same name reappear in other fields within that same document, is this possible at all via MS Word 2000 independent of another supporting merge document?

Or am I restricted to the merge feature alone where I require another MS Word document with tables or an MS Excel table?

Thanks.

Mr Al-B

2. XL Guru

XL Guru

Hi, welcome to the board. Haven't done this for a year, maybe 2. Here's one method I've used before. (?How would you key in as a field?)

First type it in, then select it (the whole string), then Insert a Bookmark. Throughout the doc, you can then Insert -- Field(s) (Category = Links & Refs, Field names = Ref). In the Field codes text box you'll need "REF Name", where Name = the name of the bookmark you inserted. You may want to turn on "Show Bookmarks" in the doc (Tools -- Options -- View) to make editing the actual bookmark easier, when required.

The Ref fields should update automatically when you print ; if not, CTRL+A to select the whole doc, then rightclick one of them & "Update Field".

HTH,
    Andy

3. Mr Al-B

Mr Al-B Thread Starter

Worked liked a charm.

Thank you so very much. :)

Mr Al-B

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    If you have a contract document in which you change only certain variable information, I suggest using Fill-in Forms.

If you want one of the field's data to appear somewhere else, you simply choose the *calculate on exit* box in the form field property, and then, whenever you want that value to be repeated, you Insert-Cross reference-To a bookmark. If you use the calculate on exit, then you shouldn't have to update your fields.

However, fill-in forms requires protection of the document. Some people don't like that, but it keeps people out of the boilerplate material.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270206

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice