1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS-Word-2000 changing header width

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by paulk, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulk

paulk Thread Starter

I'm working with a file in which somebody created headers that are the same width as the text (the whole page width minus some margins).

On the right side of the header, there's a Rev number and date of that page. But the person who designed this apparently didn't realize that the header is duplicated on all pages (or else didn't care). The Rev number really wants to go with that page so that different pages can have different revs. Duh! Yes, I know about Track Changes, but this needs government approval from an org that doesn't understand electronic manuals. They want paper so we use paper.

So my idea is to move the right boundary of the header to the left and keep the page number in the header, and then put the revision code (and date) to the right of the right boundary of the header box so it's not part of the header. And yes, I know about the problem of flowing text if we insert or delete a paragraph so the text expands or contracts; that's another problem.

But when I double-click on the header to get into edit-header mode, it won't let me go into the graphics mode to grab the dashed-outline of the right header boundary and move it. How do I change the header size, and do you have any better idea for being able to make a per-page 'header' of per-page editable text next to the real header?

Also, there's a fat horizontal line (same width as the header box) at the bottom of the header that I can move up and down, but I can't shrink. It's like the picture editing tools are disabled somehow except for that one operation.
    TIA!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/819335

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice