1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS-Word 2000/Character Map Symbols

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by kamull01, Dec 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kamull01

kamull01 Thread Starter

How does one get character map symbols to show up in MS-Word 2000?

In Windows XP, Program Files > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map will show the symbols in the character map for a given font. After clicking on a symbol, the keystroke combination will show in the lower right (for example, ALT+0230 for 'æ'). So, far, I've been copying and pasting the symbol from the character map to get it to appear in text (as I did here to get the 'æ' to show up).

But this is going to get tedious. I can't figure out how to get it to appear by using keystrokes. Pressing the ALT key (either the left one or the right one) and typing the numbers (e.g., 0230) doesn't bring anything on the MS-Word screen, even when the font matches that of the character map. So, I need a step-by-step set of instructions on how to key-in ALT+0230, for example, on the keyboard and get 'æ' to appear on the screen.

And to make it even easier, there must be a way to map a symbol or a set of keystrokes to a keyboard key. But, I can't figure out how. Can someone give me some directions?

kamull01

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It should work, unless your keyboard driver does not support it for some strange reason.

You are using the number pad keys I assume, and not the numeric keys above the main keys? (only Number Pad keys are usually supported on many standard keyboards)

3. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

You should also check to see if NumLock is on.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/188197

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice