1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Word 2000

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by RIP0100, Nov 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RIP0100

RIP0100 Thread Starter

Word 2000 came on my Dell which I bought a year ago. Under "Tools" on the main menu, I have "Mail Merge..." listed many, many times. I have a hunch one is set up each time a document is created. I can click on the down arrow about 15 times before I get the "options" and other Tools available. How do I get rid of these things -- AND prevent others from happening?

Thanks

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

try right clicking on an empty part of the main tool bar
    customize
    (with that still open) navigate through the tools pull down
    drag / drop the merge commands back to the customize window
    release

they should disappear

sounds like your normal.dot may be goofy

3. RIP0100

RIP0100 Thread Starter

Do you mean to drag each "Mail Merge..." to the customize menu? There must be hundreds of them. How do I know if they are moving out of there since I don't know how many of them there are?
    How do I fix a Normal.dot template?

4. angel

angel

Close out of Word and do a find for normal.dot and rename it (ex. normal.old). A new one will be recreated when you restart Word.
    Let us know if that worked.

5. RIP0100

RIP0100 Thread Starter

MARVELOUS ! ! It Worked ! ! You ARE an Angel.
    Thanks so much. Larry

6. jbcalg

jbcalg

thought there was about 15 per your previous post - and yes, just drag them, it would have been hard to tell with all the copies you had - but they would have been moved.

glad the normal.dot method worked - the only problem is that any customizing of the menus is lost when you go back to the default normal.dot

once you get it back to how you like it, it's a good idea to save the normal.dot again under a different name, then if you have problems, you just copy it back as normal.dot to get it back to how you like it.

7. RIP0100

RIP0100 Thread Starter

jb-
    Good idea - Thanks for your help. Larry

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59867

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice