MS Word 2003 crash when starting

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kitchy

Specifications:

- Windows Vista x64 Ultimate
- Microsoft Office Home Edition - Norwegian edition (SP3 installed)

Problem:

When trying to open MS Word 2003 (Not concering rest of the Office pack) it crashes immediatly when loading screen appears. If you start Word by opening a document, an error message appears saying: "Can't find file <directory/filename.doc> . Control that you've typed the name correctly, and try again."
If trying to open Word by running winword.exe the program just crash without any error messages popping up.

I've noticed that the problem first started occuring after I installed the MS Office 2007 compability pack. I now have uninstalled the pack, but the problem persists.

I read in another thread regarding quite much the same problem that there could be a corrupted normal.dot file. The Normal.dot is to be found in ..Documents and settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates . Well, the problem here is that for me, there's no "Templates" folder in this directory.

I've searched throughout my whole computer for normal.dot (show hidden files) and used the advanced search mode with "search in systemfiles, hidden files etc." enabled, but still no match.

For now, Word only works in safe mode, or if I use the /a script.

I've tried using the repair function in safemode, but that didn't help me much. Have reinstalled the whole Office package as well, but that didn't work out either.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online