1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved MS Word 2016 - Confusion with margins on document

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bj nick, Jul 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

(Windows 7): I have a Word doc I created where I'm pasting text from a PDF and then editing it. LONG document. It's been fine right up till now, where all of a sudden the margins have shifted an inch or so to the right, resulting in all the text being further right than the previous part of the doc. I have tried "everything" as far as manipulating the margin settings, both in Layout--Margins, and also just trying to drag them to correct the mess. Nothing works. Somehow I did "something" and I can't get the rest of the document to line up properly.

Any ideas? Help!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I've had that happen to me in various versions of MS-Word when copying formatted text from some other source like a PDF file or web page. Try checking the paragraph formatting to see if some kind of indentation was added to the paragraphs.

Your mileage may vary on the next suggestion. Save the document using "Save as" under a different name. Quit MS-Word and then double click on the newly saved file while crossing your fingers. That has worked for me on one or two occasions.

3. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Okay, I just manually moved everything.....a little mickey mouse, but it's not worth the mental energy right now. I'm going to take a Skillshare course on Word and hopefully it will cover the intricacies of margins/formatting on a higher level so I won't feel like I'm out of my depth on this stuff. Thanks!

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Anytime one pastes from one file format into MS Word, things are guaranteed to go wacko.
    One of the issues with PDF's, the different types of protection that may be set can really do a number on one's Word file.
    I have found the best thing to do is always Copy and Paste Special and select Unformatted text.
    This will default to your settings within your Word document and not what was in the source files.
    You have much better control of the data this way.

5. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Thanks, Dave, that was a good idea and I appreciate it. I did that just now for a bunch of text and it worked really well. I will remember this for the future.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice