1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Word 2016: why won't automatic indent always work?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bj nick, Jan 12, 2019.

1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

So....285-page document. It's a novel, so scene changes as well as 1st paragraph of new chapters are NOT indented. I have an issue where sometimes I want to break a paragraph into two and start a new paragraph. Usually it works, but occasionally it just drops the text down a line w/o the paragraph indent. Sure I can hit tab, but the problem is that I've been warned editors HATE having a bunch of tabs in the doc....I did a "replace all" and got rid of all tabs. Fine, but it also meant I had to go back and hand-fix dozens of scene changes to get them right again. So how do I fix the formatting so I automatically get a paragraph indent, w/o hitting tab, or risking having the existing indents/scene changes go wacky again? Thanks...hope I explained it well....not sure....

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Look ate the Paragraph settings, by clicking the arrow in the lower right corner of the Paragraph section of the ribbon bar.

There you can change the indentation to what ever you want.
    To apply to ALL of this document, select all and the make the indent settings.

3. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Okay, I think I figured it out.....I use the "paragraph" setting as you suggested, and it was "special" then the setting that I wasn't using. I think I get it....just wish I could automatically set the regular indent for all paragraphs EXCEPT FOR the new scene/new chapters, which are NOT indented.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221797

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice