MS Word 2016: why won't automatic indent always work?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bj nick

So....285-page document. It's a novel, so scene changes as well as 1st paragraph of new chapters are NOT indented. I have an issue where sometimes I want to break a paragraph into two and start a new paragraph. Usually it works, but occasionally it just drops the text down a line w/o the paragraph indent. Sure I can hit tab, but the problem is that I've been warned editors HATE having a bunch of tabs in the doc....I did a "replace all" and got rid of all tabs. Fine, but it also meant I had to go back and hand-fix dozens of scene changes to get them right again. So how do I fix the formatting so I automatically get a paragraph indent, w/o hitting tab, or risking having the existing indents/scene changes go wacky again? Thanks...hope I explained it well....not sure....

DaveA

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
David
Look ate the Paragraph settings, by clicking the arrow in the lower right corner of the Paragraph section of the ribbon bar.

There you can change the indentation to what ever you want.
To apply to ALL of this document, select all and the make the indent settings.

bj nick

Okay, I think I figured it out.....I use the "paragraph" setting as you suggested, and it was "special" then the setting that I wasn't using. I think I get it....just wish I could automatically set the regular indent for all paragraphs EXCEPT FOR the new scene/new chapters, which are NOT indented.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online