1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Word and something stopping files being opened

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Jay_JWLH, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

Alright here is the case. I open up MS Word and of coarse you get a blank page. But when you try and open a word file it displays the picture as shown below (first picture). Now when i try and close MS Word, an event happens as shown by the second picture. I click no and yep, you get the third picture. I then cancel this window and i end up back into word, just minus the blank page or open file. Trying to close MS Word again i get the fourth picture and I click no, which now closes word. Overall I just want to be able open a file, and close MS Word without these problems. The fourth picture shows what programs are running in the system tray.

Attached Files:

2. bomb #21

bomb #21

"I open up MS Word and of coarse you get a blank page" -- but does it say Document 1 in the title bar?

3. bomb #21

bomb #21

4. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

Picture shown below that yes, it does. Still had to go through the double procedure to close MS Word though. Hope all my picture adding makes getting an answer that much easier.

Attached Files:

5. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

Well our computer has had problems recently and ive done a virus scan online at housecall.trendmicro.com. Even though it found 8 viruses, 3 spyware programs, and ive recently got Microsoft Antispyware Beta installed and that itself has hopefully solved some problems. I also use a registered version of PC Tools 'Registry Mechanic'. Im one third through the page at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291352/en-us.

6. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291352/en-us isnt helping me much. Give me a check list of what I should have checked and done, so I can see if i havnt missed anything. I dont think ive installed any add-ons to MS Word, and the Prompt to save Normal template check box isnt checked.

Attached Files:

7. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

Something ive noticed, which i click yes on the prompt to save the normal.dot, it just instantly exits. Still not good enough, just need it to stop appearing. Im hoping this helps me open the word file I wanted too.

8. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

Bump, nothing has really changed at all.

9. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

Im still at square one. You cant open word files, and the most effective way to close word is to go yes on the save normal template dialog box. Maybe I should try reinstalling word, which im going to do now, or even use the repair function that they sometimes give with programs.

10. TonyJollans

TonyJollans

Assuming this happens with all documents, I would say you have some corruption somewhere.

Reinstalling doesn't usually help (but can be tried as a last resort) - running Detect and Repair from the Help menu may work. If not, and you are comfortable with the registry ...

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word

... is the Word key (11.0 = 2003, 10.0 = 2002, etc). Rename this key and Word will create a new one next time it starts. No guarantess but worth trying.

11. TonyJollans

TonyJollans

I am assuming that you have already renamed your Normal.dot to make sure that's notcausing the problem.

12. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

Weel tried that, and there is no change in opening a file or closing word. Next ill try the registry.

Yeah just got it renamed normal.dot to normal2.dot. But like above, no change.

13. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

Well i went through the registry (im surprised i knew how to open it), and got a little stuck at this
    Here are two screenshots.

Attached Files:

14. TonyJollans

TonyJollans

It looks like you have both Word 2002 and Office Standard 2003 installed. This is not necessarily a problem but it may depend on how they were installed. Which version of Word are you using? Rename the Word key for that one (or both of them).

However ...

This may be a case where reinstalling Office 2003 will solve the problem - but note that it will not replace the registry entries.

15. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH Thread Starter

well I do have MS works here, but that isnt installed. Im not fully sure if it has been installed on this computer before anyway. As for MS word 2003, it was part of a office package.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435810

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice