1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Word Autotext Problem HELP!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Willy., Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Willy.

Willy. Thread Starter

Ok basically when I open MS Word doesnt matter what document it is or if it is a new blank document the autotext feature is "greyed out" and you cannot click on it, i need to use the filename and path footer alot and iv tried reinstalling the full office package but still no autotext :mad: :mad:

2. slurpee55

slurpee55

When you right-click on the main tool bar and the list of other toolbars is listed (formatting, autotext, etc.) is the autotext option greyed out? Also, are you able to find the filename and path via the Insert, Field option?

3. Willy.

Willy. Thread Starter

Yes the autotext toolbar is "greyed out" and no I cannot insert it that way either the function is totally disappeared.
    Cheers.

4. slurpee55

slurpee55

Try Tools, Customize, Toolbars. Highlight AutoText and click Reset.
    Oh and welcome to the Forum!

5. Willy.

Willy. Thread Starter

Ok reset the toolbar but still nothing has changed :( Cheers anyway Slurpee

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Do Word troubleshooting. :)
    http://www.officearticles.com/word/steps_to_troubleshooting_microsoft_word.htm

Slurp: Seems to me you know what you're doing. When you run out of ideas, send the asker over to the troubleshooting steps. I can't remember the last time I did NOT do that when someone came knocking on my door through the private message path. Not that I mind! I don't at all. Matter of fact, I'm glad you do. :)

7. Willy.

Willy. Thread Starter

YAY! I went onto troubleshooting and read the page about Normal.dot and using my trusty common sense I overwrite the normal.dot with a good one from another computer.

Cheers for everything guys! (y) :)

8. slurpee55

slurpee55

Thanks Anne (I had lost the troubleshooting link - got a new PC at the office) and it's good to see you around! :) Glad the problem is solved, too!

9. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    I am glad you got it fixed. On a side note you will also see this grayed out when you have a form that is protected or a while document that is protected. I am informing everyone in-case they do a search on this topic later on.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice