1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Word Documents Transferred...

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Ender, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ender

Ender Thread Starter

Hi,

I've recently bought a new computer (Windows XP Home Edition) and transferred many files to it via cd.

Many zip files and applications didn't work, possilby because of XP just not working with those programs, which were not new enough for XP.

I got over it , since many were not critical and I just downloaded what I needed in the newer version.

All was well, till my documents. I copied many documents onto the cd, and tried running them on MS Word on my new computer, it would open, but the text was jibberish.

I tried the documents on my old computer, and they ran just fine. But on my new one, they come out as jibberish all of them, when I open them in word or any other program(text program). :(

The jibberish is computer symbols, I'm on the old computer now(other one isn't hooked up to the internet at the moment), so I don't have an example to paste on here to show. But I will tommorrow.

Hope someone can help, if this has happened to them on XP transferring documents.

Also, if anyone has any knowledge on why so many of the zip and exe files wouldn't run.... It would say error, not a propoer win32 application, or something resembling that. :/

Thanks if anyone can help. I have all the files on the disc still, but not on my old computers hd, so I can't re-burn them on the cd. But they do work on the old computer.

2. Ender

Ender Thread Starter

Anyone have any ideas?

Words seems to say 'cechking for viruses' or something to that effect before opening the document in the buttom left corner.

3. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Have you downloaded winxip 8.1? I had a few older zip files that the automatic zip folder thing in XP would not open.

The exe error, is probably an older no 32 bit file that XP is having trouble handling. Although I have had some older dos games that ran fine. Maybe they were true 16 bit windows 3.1 programs.

The checking for viruses would be your virus scanner checking the document as it opens.

Have you installed Microsoft Office on the new computer?

Do your documents come out looking similar to this? This was a word document that was opened in notepad. (Well actually, this is just part of it)

ÐÏࡱá >  þÿ   "  $  þÿÿÿ ! ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿì¥Á 7  ð¿   ´  bjbjUU  " 7| 7| ´ ÿÿ ÿÿ ÿÿ l † † † † † † †  š è è è è ô š # @         ¢  ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ $ c  ƒ
    f È  †      È Þ † †   Ý  Þ Þ Þ   †  †  ¢ Þ  ¢ Þ D Þ "  V  † † ¢   €.ñ°=OÁš N è "  n  ¢ ó 0 # v , é
    8 ¦ é
    ¢ Þ š

4. Ender

Ender Thread Starter

This is a copy of it(This is in Word, I've tried both Word and Notepad):

?ý?[ê???ô?Í??Éà?B?????E????7?ê"<ì?o?ì ?éoú?8o?J??!?C[ ?6????óÙ ?]??ÍAâ+
    ê?U# ?$Éù??E=T?Ô?`?? 9 IÔpC?? u? Q??ws?tk??.<?$???{Tì? ?3ê??nl&? ÊàuC,Zê?d???Ó~"?P
    r? ?9?y?ã Tw6?a??ò
    ????z7>?zé
    ??? ????o?? ?<G??_??{Â?H í??o ?8???ÀòúÚ;??`]l7#;éãÀ3 ?V?[ù?dj3x?0??ì?[?q????\â?_6 ?F?ÈjRýjJK????
    [email protected]!È>?ò??Q?~^kÔ ??????/ U,?AW?V_??áG?
    ój? ;S:Vè! ?~?? ? ???n
    ?N??Nxj.Ázk
    ".?U?]h??X?g v??Ã?q? '??9)Ó? v?YNh?t?2?0S? N???wuj?|??j(?+o??â  W? !?ÍÌ h?z ?ú?ÓI(??<Q>?W ?? ã R{W?{! Í?r?v úh? C??!M")yVk??úÝq?~ NÉ?&Ò?+ Yõ*[?H;? (???k"

?? Z????8Ã??Ý?È
    ?%Ã?]???? ??Pq ? ? M????ý Ý?%ã? ò???
    Ó0??á?{ÁÍ??í???G??? Â}&?ÈQ `??&'?Í`Pò 8q??ó? ?T
    RÊ?õ>???
    ??+? ??ê?<?â??é?E ?W??=Ý?ì}????2?Ê?y ÌQ?aF??õ??Iz???Ò^+?J
    ?>ôJ-J
    H+?? U véQKcÉiV ?

5. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Well, I have never seen it appear like that before when opening in word.

When you installed office on your computer, did you install all the convertors? Maybe the version on your old comptuer was an older version.

You will need your Microsoft Office disk handy for this.

Go to your control panel and open up add/remove programs. Scroll down to microsoft office and click on change.

Under Office Shared Features, click on Convertors and Filters and Click run all from my computer. Maybe there is a convertor missing or damaged.

If this does not work, you might want to see if one of the forum moderators can move this thread to the business applications forum. There are some people over there that are very good at Word errors. Someone there might have seen something similar to this before.

6. Ender

Ender Thread Starter

Thanks.

Word was allready installed on the computer in both cases, so I wouldn't know if everything was installed.

I'll try the buttom part and see if it works. :)

7. Ender

Ender Thread Starter

I reinstalled the Convertors and Filters, but it still did the same thing.

I believe it is the virus scan that is messing it up, is there any way to disable that?

And who would be a good person to ask to move the topic to the other forum you mentioned?

8. Brooks

Brooks Guest

You should be able to remove the virus scanner through the add/remove programs.

To ask them to move the topic, just click on the link, report post to moderator and explain the situation.

9. brianF

brianF

moved by user request

10. TechChick

TechChick

You can disable anti-virus software without removing it or uninstalling it. Look for an icon in the lower right corner of your screen in the area call the system tray. If you have McAfee, look for a shield symbol. If you have Norton, look for a computer symbol. Once you find it, right click on it. There should be an option to disable it.

11. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Wow. A lot of work done here.

First---Open Word and hit File-Open. What are the "files of type" that you're opening? If it says "recover text...", then you need to change that to Word Documents.

Second--Are you sure you had Word and not MS Works' word processor? What is the file extension? Have you had anyone try opening these on THEIR Office XP? I'll try it for you, just email [email protected].

Third--Have you run repair in Word? Go to Help-Detect and repair.

Let's go from there. I'm not as familiar with Word XP as I am with previous versions, but I'm getting there.

12. Ender

Ender Thread Starter

I do believe in both cases, it was Word, but it might have been MS Works Word Proccesor. When I open any of the files, it looks normal, same as opening ones that work. Except it then says 'requesting vrisu scan' in the bottom left hand corner, and the text comes out like this:

??????Eã?&P?ê(xO?Ôròd??ã8zù+
    ???
    X t?x9??? ò?|t *ìH?2G?h!Q ??1? ?( ??;w?ìd?z? ??D+
    'ýGU????]? u? ? ?Ý???é k\? ???d?W Ù í[email protected]???Ý) ?+?[ uBÁ$,5?? L??Á5ÀA?W. '? ??U

I don't have McAfee or Norton on right now, but Norton is on this computer. I'll send you one of the documents that come out weird in word. Hope you can help, and thanks for the help so far.

13. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Wow, Ender. I'm not going to be able to help. If you ask me, the document you sent was never a Word document as there is literally know recognizable text in it.

Find any JPG or GIF file on your PC and open them with Word. You'll see that the garble in them actually looks somewhat similar.

And you're saying this happened to ALL your documents? I'm thinking either they didn't write to the CD properly, or the CD wasn't burnt as a data CD or something.

I'm really surprised that I can't figure this one out, 'cause I usually do. When you opened these, did you perchance save them after opening? If so, send me one directly rom the CD. Also, is there ANY chance they were created in ANY other type of Word processor? Are you positive these were documents? In other words, you created them and even have an idea as to what they should contain?

14. Ender

Ender Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm sure they were documents. Grrrr, I guess they didn't burn to the CD properly. But thanks anyway.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice