1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Word interacts strangely after installing a video game

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by fsgregs, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fsgregs

fsgregs Thread Starter

Hi all: I'm new to the forum. Hope you can help.

I am a teacher who uses and writes Astronomy activities and lesson plans for high school use and for enjoyment by anyone around the world, using MS Word 2002. Inside my MS Word docs, I have an embedded hyperlink that links to a Windows shortcut file. The shortcut launches another application (an Astronomy simulation program). When a reader clicks on the embedded hyperlink in the MS Word document, it activates the shortcut, which in turn, launches the Astronomy program. It works great! :)

That is, until I install a video game ... :mad: any video game ... on my computer. As soon as I do so, that hyperlink to that Windows shortcut inside my MS Word document no longer works. Clicking on it does nothing. I have NO IDEA why installing a video game should have any impact at all on how MS Word activates hyperlinks inside its documents. It makes no difference if I have MS Word open or closed when installing the game. The effect is the same. The video game also does not have to be running for the effect to happen. What is really weird is that this seems to be strictly an MS Word problem. The Windows shortcut file itself still works fine if I click on it separately (outside of the Word document). It launches the app without problems.

Worse, uninstalling the video game does not remove the problem. I actually have to "system restore" using the Windows XP restore feature, to a time before I installed the video game. Then ... :confused: the MS Word hyperlink works again just fine.

It also is not confined just to my system. I've had at least 20 other students/users around the world report the same effect on their computers.

The video game has no impact on how MS Word launches hyperlinks to the web. They work fine. It is only launching a Windows shortcut that seems to be the problem.

ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

3. fsgregs

fsgregs Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion, but typing those run commands did not solve the problem. Any other suggestions or help would be Soooooo appreciated. :eek:

Frank

4. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

A few more to try:

regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
    regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 Shell32.dll (Windows XP and Windows 2000 only)

5. fsgregs

fsgregs Thread Starter

Dear Wendy and kiwiguy:

Aghhhhhh! The new run commands still have no effect. I installed them fine and got a confirmation message that the run commands had succeeded. Then, I click on the Windows shortcut link inside MS Word 2002 and nothing happens. Yet, all other hyperlinks in the document work (internet hyperlinks, etc.) The installation of the video games has screwed up only MS Word's treatment of Windows shortcut links.

As a new test, I created a hyperlink in MS Word directly to the exe program, rather than linking to a shortcut to the program. It works fine. The program launches from the embedded hyperlink. Then, I hyperlinked to a new Windows shortcut (to launch Apple Quicktime). The hyperlink did nothing. So ... it is a global problem. Something the video game installations did has inactivated MS Word's capability to hyperlink successfully to a Windows shortcut.

Because I must use a command line to launch the program a certain way, I MUST use a Windows shortcut with a command line to launch it.

Thanks for all your help so far, but still no ..... cigar! :confused: PLEASE don't give up on it. There MUST be an answer to why it is doing this. Remember, it is not just my computer. Over a dozen other computers behave the same way, so it is some kind of interaction problem between MS Word's treatment of Windows shortcuts and software that is loaded afterward.

HELP!!!

Frank

6. WendyM

A couple of clarifying questions: Is there any difference if you click or if you Ctrl+click? And what happens if you type the windows shortcut into Outlook (assuming you use Outlook)? Does it work or do you have the same problem?

7. fsgregs

fsgregs Thread Starter

Wendy:

I edited the options menu in MS Word long ago to remove the need for Ctrl + Click. As I mentioned, the problem is only with the hyperlink to the Windows shortcut. All other hyperlinks work fine in MS Word, including a direct link to the program exe file itself.

I recreated the link in MS PowerPoint (I don't use Outlook) and again, it did not work. Again, it is only the link to a Windows shortcut that does not work. So ... apparently, this is a Microsoft Office 2002 glitch (not just limited to MS Word).

Thanks for your help. Looking forward to any other suggestions you may have.

Frank

8. WendyM

Well, I'm officially stumped. When you install a video game, where are you installing it from? Are you able to see exactly which files it's installing? That might help you see which dlls are being replaced and help narrow down the problem some.

9. fsgregs

fsgregs Thread Starter

Wendy:

Sadly, a video game is all-inclusive in a set of auto-install bat files and such. I checked the main CD and/or DVD that the games are on, and they do not list dlls separately.

Note that this is not just one game. I've had four different games from two different game houses result in the same problem.

PLEASE try not to give up.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice