1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Word; only type in certain fields

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by $lim, Dec 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. $lim

$lim Thread Starter

i have created a form in word, adn i want it to be read only for most of the form. However, i do want certain fields to allow users to type in. Is there any way that i can easily do this. i know that this may seem kind of vague, let me know if you need any other info.

2. cristobal03

cristobal03

[edit]
    Too bad there's not a strikethrough text format. Anyway, ignore the stuff in red.

This is a common question that has no easy answer. There is no way to permanently lock the text of a document while leaving the fields open. There are some workarounds, such as using a background graphic instead of body text.

I don't know what I was thinking about when I wrote that, but it wasn't forms. It might have been converting a PDF document to a protected Word form. Another of Dreamboat's articles.
    [/edit]

If you search the forums for something like Word form protect text, you might get some hits. The question gets worded differently from time to time, so play around with the search criteria until you get a thread that works for you.

Here are a couple of similar threads (searching word form lock text):

http://forums.techguy.org/t389564
    http://forums.techguy.org/t159508

And here's a link with some general info. Thanks to Dreamboat for that.

Sorry.

chris.

3. cristobal03

cristobal03

[bump]

Here's another link that might be more relevant to your requirement. Thanks to Dreamboat for that link.

chris.

4. sinsation

sinsation

You could also re-create the form in Excel and use the sheet protection/allow users to edit ranges commands (tools > protection).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/424448

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice