MS Word Re-install????

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BU2

I have a Compaq PC with XP home edition. It came with MS Works. When new, about 3 years ago, I couldn't open Word documents i when they were sent to me as e-mail attachments. When I tried to open MS Word documents, a pop-up would come up asking for my 25-digit CD Key. I didn't know where/what this was, so I used the PC for over 2 years without Word. I finally found the 25-digit CD key. I typed it in and it activated Word. I recently had to do a system Restore on the PC and now it won't ask for the 25-digit code, it opens everything in Wordpad instead. How can I get Word back?

Thanks....

DoubleHelix

Banned
It's possible Word wasn't reinstalled when you did a system restore. It may be on another disk or it may not have been included with the restore disks.

The information Dreamboat posted will only work if Word is actually installed on the computer. You should be able to tell that by looking in Start, Programs or in Add/Remove Programs.

BU2

When I did the System Restore the use of discs wasn't required. From what I understand, Compaq doesn't supply discs with their PCs. They have a separate section on the drive with the original info locked onto it. If the PC has unrepairable errors, you do a System restore and it puts the PC back to where it was when it was first turned on. The only discs that I received with the PC were: MS Works Suite 2000 disc 5, MS Works 7.0 disc. If I install either of these discs into the drive, nothing happens. I also received a MS User Product ID Card. This card is for MS Works Suite 2000. It says: Software Inside: Word 2000, Works 2000, Money 2000, Home Publishing 2000, Expedia Streets & Trips 2000. This card has the 25 digit CD code that I had typed in back in 2/05 to make Word start working. If my PC didn't come with Word, then why was this card with it??? I went on an online chat session with Compaq yesterday and their response was that I had been using Word through a 30-day trial. But I've had Word since I typed in the 25 digit CD code back in February of 05. I don't understand if it was a 30 day trial why I was able to keep it for so long. My PC came with Works Suite 2000. It was my understanding that Works Suite came with Word?

DoubleHelix

Banned
If Word and Works are not currently installed, then use that disk labeled "MS Works Suite 2000". Put it in the drive, open My Computer, and double-click on the letter for your CD-ROM drive. The installation should begin. Otherwise, the contents of the CD should be displayed and there will be a Setup file or an Autorun executable that will kick off the install.

BU2

I placed the disc into the drive and clicked on the SD-RW drive. This message came up: To install MS Home Publishing 2000, insert the setup CD. This is the oly Works Suite CD that came with the PC. It is disc 5, titled, MS Home Publishing 2000 Designs and Art.

DoubleHelix

Banned
BU2 said:
The only discs that I received with the PC were: MS Works Suite 2000 disc 5, MS Works 7.0 disc.
And when you put in the MS Works 7.0 disk?

BU2

The works 7.0 disc lists Word Processor on it instead of Word. When I install the disc, nothing happens?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online