1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ms word sends open files to temp and deletes file.

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by holland123, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. holland123

holland123 Thread Starter

This is my first post and I hope I am in the right place. Tried to find previous ref but couldn't find anything. Any MS word 2007 open file will not save because it has gone to temp file name and original file deleted. Can recover by using 'save as' and changing name back to correct name but this has to happen every time and is very time consuming. Tried repair but nothing was wrong. I think it started after uploading latest drivers from AVG but don't see connection. It happens immediately a file is opened.

2. holland123

I would like to add that the error message when I try to save reads 'Word cannot complete the save due to a ile permission error'
    under properties only arcive is ticked.

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    How and when did the original file get deleted?

4. holland123

Every new word file and many old ones default to a temp file (different ones of course). The file under its old name no longer exists as far as I can see. I can get the file back by saying yes to try again and it comes up with a 'save as' page. I then remove the temp file name and retype the old file name (if I can remember it). Up comes the old file but it defaults again if I try to save.

As an example. I open word and open a new file (blank). Insert 'testing' and try to save it. It says I cannot (see above) but then I go through the programme above. It never loses the file just renames it.

thanks for offering to help!

(incidently I am on windows XP)

5. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Within the folder that these files were at, are some "Word temp" files and they need to be removed.

6. holland123

one further point I have just discovered. If I use 'save as'' not save then the original file remains. However after leaving the file for a while (not saving at all), it turns itself into a temp file wihout any action on my part!!! For this reason I put save temp onto 90 minutes but it takes no notice of this.

7. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    There is always a Temp file open when you have any Word file open. This is there to store your changes until you do a save.

What is this "save temp into 90 minutes"?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1127293

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice