1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Word Spellcheck Question

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Jack1000, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Hello Guys,

I am running Word 97 on Windows XP. With regards to the spellcheck. How can I get the spellcheck to rerun itself after I get the message. "The Spell/grammer check is complete?" I receive the same prompt both from the toolbar and the main menu prompt. Thank you.

Jack

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That's a normal message. Can you explain your problem in more detail?

3. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

When I get that Spell and Grammer Check is complete, how do I rerun the spellcheck again to correct words/grammer errors that I didn't see in the first run through of the document?

Jack

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If you accepted or ignored the errors, then they are not then seen as errors.

Essentially you have told Word that they were correct.

Sometimes you can force a reset by selecting all the text, then Tools-Language- change to another language then change back again.

5. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Well,

The problem was that I had 4 fragments in my document and wanted to rerun spell/grammar check to make them sentences. I thought that by closing out and restarting the computer that Word would just say, "OK, reset the spellchecker when he opens the program, as he's starting a new session now." It still said "Spellcheck is Complete."

What I did was under "Options" and Spelling and Grammer, there is a button that says "Check Document" or "Recheck Document." Can anyone tell me more about this feature? The Office Assistent is confusing in this area. It says that it allows you to rerun the spellcheck and that that words in the "Ignore All List" (whatever that is) are reset. If says if you didn't run Spelling/Grammar, the button shows up as a "Check Document." I guess I don't quite understand the difference with this button showing up sometimes as a check or recheck option. Than if you click this button, you get this message that the spellcheck/grammer check settings are reset to their original positions, with a "Do you want to continue prompt?" Why does Word have this prompt?

Anyway, I changed the grammar setting to Formal, made sure the grammar box was checked, and than it went back and treated the document like it had not been checked before. I was just trying to get spellcheck and grammar to rerun again without actually changing settings in the program to make it do that.

Jack

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322419

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice