1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Works database

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by roosta, Aug 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roosta

roosta Thread Starter

First time try. MS 98, Works database, MS Word file with a zillion names,addresses,ph#s,ect. I copy a name in Word, try to paste into a cell in d/b, I get "<picture>" in the cell, not the info I copied. Ive read the help files in Works, the archives in here. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank You. Andy

2. Sponsor

3. XL Guru

XL Guru

>> I get "<picture>" in the cell, not the info I copied.

That's what I get too.

In Works DB, there's a File -- Open option for *.txt, but I doubt you have the programs to convert your Word file to a text file. Anyway, you gave no indication of the layout of your Word file ; are the names & addies in a table?

My Works DB will take a pasting :)D) from NotePad, so you could use that as a go-between. If it helps, you can select columns in Word by clicking'n'dragging while holding down ALT (ALT must be down before you click).

HTH,
    Andy

4. roosta

roosta Thread Starter

thanks for the reply. Text is NOT in columns.
    Roosta
    P.O. Box
    Blah Blah,MS.
    555-222-3456 format LOl Ill try your suggestions and let you know.

5. roosta

roosta Thread Starter

I did get it to paste in Excel but NOT Works. Maybe tomorrow,LOL Thank You again.

6. XL Guru

XL Guru

With Excel this is do-able. You can select all (CTRL+A) in Word and copy (CTRL+C), then paste (CTRL+V) in Excel.

Then you need to convert the single column into 1-row-per-name/address. Code can do this, but we'll need to know (a) if each name/address "block" has the same # of lines (b) how many, if any, blanks between each block.

Once you have the layout right, you can save as *.txt which Works d-base will then open.

Rgds,
    Andy

7. roosta

roosta Thread Starter

OK, each has 7 lines, one line between each "block", NEW questions, would it be better to do this in Excel? I didnt know I had Excel. I DONT have MS query to import data with. Thanks Andy

8. XL Guru

XL Guru

It would probably be better to do this in Excel. Excel isn't a database program per se, but in terms of functionality I'm sure it could pretty much shred Works d-base.

OTOH, if you didn't know you had Excel, you might have Access too. In which case Access fans would say "use Access".

And of course it depends what you want to do with the data. If it's just for mailmerging & form letters, it might be better to set it up as a Word table doc, then use it as the source data for other docs. Thus avoiding 2 different progs having to talk to each other.

9. XL Guru

XL Guru

(cont.)
    If it'll paste into Excel so that "block 1" is in A1:A7 and A8 is blank, then "block 2" is in A9:A15 and A16 is blank, etc., then you could use a macro to convert it to row format, such as

Sub Cut_Blocks_to_Rows()
    Range("C1") = "Paste below here."
    Do Until WorksheetFunction.CountA(Range("A:A")) = 0
    Range("A1:A7").Copy
    Range("C65536").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Select
    Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlAll, Operation:=xlNone, _
    SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=True
    Range("A1:A8").Delete Shift:=xlUp
    Loop
    End Sub

But the "7 - blank - 7 - blank" format would have to be 100% consistent for this particular code to work.

Once it's in row format, it should even paste straight into Word as a table - so you could use the Word table to drive some stuff, and the Excel table to drive other stuff.

MSOffice can be quite useful sometimes. :)

10. roosta

roosta Thread Starter

I'll try that and see how long it takes me to gain the "experience" needed to make it work. TYVM Andy

11. roosta

roosta Thread Starter

XL Guru, I managed the cut and paste part last nite. Today I learn the macro way. Thank you again.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/263363