1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ms Works Doesn't

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by vadocRET, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vadocRET

vadocRET Thread Starter

I have a Dell 8100 using Win ME, P4 1.3G. For some reason, I decided to upgrade the ME to XP. After several unsuccessful trials to get the XP to load, I was finally able to get back to ME with XP supposedly uninstalled. Unfortunately, since that time I have been unable to use my Microsoft Works V 6. Nothing happens when I click the desktop icon, and when I reboot or try to load from a file, I get the error message " Works file WKWAT.DLL APPEARS TO BE CORRUPTED. REINSTALL THE FILE AND TRY AGAIN". I tried to uninstall the program using the control panel option: Install-Uninstall. The setup loads and begins to uninstall - then stops with the error message "The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request". I have a CD for Works V 6 and I tried to install/uninstall using the CD and got the same result. I have a big database (more than 8,000 records) that I use weekly and I need to get Works going again - help!

2. doggard

doggard

Did you try the uninstall in safe mode?
    As to the Dell I believe theres a mention of it on their website in regard to SP2 of either a patch or a bios upgrade.

3. vadocRET

vadocRET Thread Starter

I tried to uninstall Works in safe mode - same results "The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request".
    Do you mean that there is something about installing Win XP and Win XP Service Pack 2 on the Dell support site?

4. doggard

doggard

I had read that there was mention on the Dell forum of a recommendation to update the bios if SP2 causes problems.Some techs who have installed it on Dells have had no problems whatsoever so I thought it was relevant to your query.
    There is a unrelated but similar error message posted on the Microsoft website which suggests turning off DMA for CD Roms and hard drives it may be worth a try.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;190630&Product=wrk

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!