1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS works word processor

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by songwrtr, Mar 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. songwrtr

songwrtr Thread Starter

My OS is Windows ME. I had saved several word processor documents to CD disc and was working on one. I closed it out, then tried to open it again and got the following prompt: "Works can't open M:\report.wps. The file may be used by another application, the file format may not be supported by any of the installed converters or may be corrupt". This happened to three other files on disc, but the last one is ok. Since I'm not a wizard at this stuff, is there anyway to get the files to open? If it has been corrupted, I'm probably screwed. If not, what can I do? The stuff on disc wasn't something I can duplicate from memory. I made the file with Adaptic CD Creator (which is also supposed to create regular CD-ROM type discs, but I've never been able to get it to do that). I tried the program's own "scan disc" to repair it, but it's a lot more limited than my computer's scan disc and it didn't seem to do much.

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    1. You can't repair a CD-ROM with scandisk.
    2. Files on CD-ROM cannot be changed unless you have a re-writable CD-ROM disk.
    3. I would never suggest anyone even attempt to work directly from a CD-ROM, rewritable or not.
    4. Copy files from CD-ROM to hard drive, then right-click in Windows explorer and remove the read-only under properties.

Ask in the Other Software forum about CD-writer software.

Sorry! Wish I could help more.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/73835

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice