1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MSACM32.DLL error HELP

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by LosingMyMind, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LosingMyMind

LosingMyMind Thread Starter

Ok, I have looked all over the 'net & can't seem to find a solution to this problem, any help would be greatly appreciated. Every so often, no matter what I'm doing, online or not, sometimes even when I'm not on the computer at all, I get the dreaded box that pops up & says the following:

'Iexplore has caused an error in MSACM32.DLL. Iexplore will now close.'

This is usually almost immediately followed by:

'Iexplore has caused an error in <unknown>. Iexplore will now close.'

99% of the time it's not even open when it does this.

Also a few times when I've muted the volume on the computer or adjusted the volume, several minutes later I get a SNDVOL error, telling me that it will now close, but I've never had any (still don't) problems with my sound not working. It pops up, I click ok, it goes away, everything still works normally.

Ok, the repair option for IE is not an option, and upgrading or reinstalling isn't either (long story). From what I've read, these so called free 'dll error fix' programs are nothing but problems, so I haven't downloaded any of them. I have run Spybot, AdAware, Spyhunter, all the tools on SystemMechanic, Windows Washer, BitDefender & Panda Virus scans, and have the AVG antivirus installed. I have removed everything dubbed safe to remove from those programs & gotten rid of a couple trojans the virus scans found.

Is there anything at all I can do to stop or repair this? Do I need to just uninstall IE altogether? It doesn't even show up in my Add/Remove programs list. I use AOL 9.0 & mainly use the browser included with it anyway, this is my seperate copy of IE outside of AOL that I keep getting the error on. I'd like to keep it if at all possible, but I can live without it if that's the only option I have. I've had it for a couple years with no problem, but this has suddenly started & it's quite nerve racking. I have Windows ME, and upgrading my OS isn't really an option either, as I don't think my computer could handle anything else (not to mention the cost).

Sorry this is so lengthy, any additional info needed just let me know. Anyone that can help whatsoever in this matter I will be forever indebted to you! TIA!

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Well for one thing, AOL doesn't have a browser! Oh, they own Netscape alright, but AOL doesn't use that because it's not advanced enough, plain and simple. You're using Internet Explorer (IE) whenever you get on-line with AOL whatever version. So you might just want to re-think getting rid of IE, Ok? AOL won't work without it. You'd find out if you ever tried to do a AOL install on a machine without IE on it. Didn't AOL tell you about that?

You see, even though AOL is the largest single ISP, although MSN, Earthlink etc. are quickly gaining ground, most people by a vast majority use independent ISPs and Internet Explorer/Outlook Express. By browser/e-mail reader usage statistics AOL is definitely in the extreme minority.

AOL's software is likely causing these errors. That's one tiny example of why AOL's service usage is in steep decline and the overall minority in browser usage. Most likely you just need to upgrade IE fully, as explained below, you can only use a open IE browser window to do this, IE fully upgraded to IE 6; Uninstall all AOL products in the Add/Remove Programs control panel; Restarting your computer after each product is uninstalled; Restart your computer once again; Then reinstall AOL.

Look to this Google search to read about your MSACM32.dll error http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=MSACM32.DLL&btnG=Google+Search It does sound like a simple Sound issue but your issue is likely related to a corrupted AOL. When you install a new AOL version over an older corrupted version it does not fix problems. This is not exclusively an AOL problem.

Since all your browser security is provided by Microsoft's Internet Explorer, you definitely need to navigate to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and get all the Critical Updates and Service Packs. Some of those Critical Updates and Service Packs must be done individually.

3. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Click the Start button; Point to Control Panel, select Internet Options; In the box that opens, click the Clear History; Delete Cookies And Delete Files buttons (tick the box next to, 'Delete all off-line content', each in turn; In the box that opens after activating each button, click the OK button. Click OK to close the Internet Options window.

Clear the contents of the c:\Windows\Cookies; Temporary Internet Files and Temp folders.

You've got way too much running at Windows startup.

Check your available resources by right-clicking My Computer; clicking Properties; Click the Performance tab. Resources available are displayed as percent there at top. Check it when you get done running the System Configuration Utility mentioned below.

Click the Start button; Run; type 'msconfig', without the quotation marks, in the Run box and click OK; Then click the Startup tab; Uncheck anything you don't need running in the background. For reference on what's not needed running in the background in the System Configuration Utility, view this website first and print out the list:

http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Running_items.htm

It's important that you print out the above mentioned list. The site provides a printer friendly link.

In the System Configuration Utility (SCU), you can uncheck programs you suspect one at a time and restart your computer. If something doesn't work right, you can always go back into the SCU and re-check it and restart your computer via the Start button. The changes are completely reversible by re-checking an item in SCU or by selecting Normal Startup under the General tab in the SCU and all the programs listed run when Windows starts as it was before you started.

You need to be running a firewall like free Sygate from http://download.com - type, sygate, in the Search box, you must be on-line to register Sygate, that is if you're not using a firewalled Router on a Network or, have another third-party firewall like Sygate installed, to protect you and the Internet community from hackers, spammers and terrorist from using your computer for their own illicit needs while you're on-line?

Get, install, update and run free Ad-aware (and its HexDump plug-in) from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

First in the main window look in the bottom right corner and click on Check for updates now and download the latest referencefiles.

Make sure the following settings are made and on -------ON=GREEN

From main window :Click Start then Activate in-depth scan (recommended)

Click Use Custom Scanning Options' then click Customize' and have these options selected: Under Drives and Folders put a check by Scan Within Archives and below that under Memory and Registry put a check by all the options there.

Now click on the Tweak button in that same window. Under Scanning engine select: Unload recognized processes during scanning and under Cleaning Engine select: Let windows remove files in use at next reboot

Click proceed to save your settings.

Now to scan just click the Next button.

When the scan is finished mark everything for removal and get rid of it.(Right-click the window and choose select all from the drop down menu and click Next)

Restart your computer.

You might post exactly what programs you have in the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel list box.

Go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com or http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm and click the Scan Now link to run a free on-line virus scan.

What anti-virus are you using? If you're running Mcaffee or Norton anti-virus and have not recently paid for a one year subscription to download weekly new virus definitions, you might consider getting free AntiVir 6 from http://free-av.com - Uninstalling Mcaffee; Restarting your computer and installing free AntiVir Anti-virus 6.0.

4. Styxx

Styxx Banned

You must uninstall any current anti-virus and restart your computer before installing a different anti-virus. Firewalls are not anti-virus and, anti-virus must be frequently updated (weekly at least). I use AntiVir personally with WinXP and below, except Win95.

I apologize for stating some you already know.

5. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Although this may not be well received, I strongly suggest you drop your AOL ISP service, cancel your AOHell account with that company, uninstall al AOL products and then start a new account with a local ISP. I think most users of this forum will agree with my suggestion. You'll still have problems with your computer like us all, but a whole lot less.

I'm just trying to help with my above suggestion, not accuse or criticize.

6. Styxx

Styxx Banned

When was the last time you booted to Safe Mode

(tap F8 five times per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click Ok when prompted).

;disabled your screen saver (choose None) then ran a Standard ScanDisk then a Defrag? Restart to Normal Mode via the Start button.

7. LosingMyMind

LosingMyMind Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice... however, I guess I'm just stuck with it. It's simply more annoying than anything, doesn't seem to interfere with any program operation. I had already altered system config as much as possible, and I keep all temp files, etc, cleaned out on a regular basis. I have the free AVG antivirus with all the latest updates, & update it weekly. I have & run both Ad-Aware & Spybot as well as System Mechanic & Spyware Guard. I've run virus scans from Panda, BitDefender, AVG, and TrendMicro. I've removed all problems found, and still I get this annoying error for no apparent reason. Most of the time it pops up when I'm not even on the computer.

Unfortunately, like I stated before, upgrading or re-installing IE is not an option, nor is doing away with AOL. I won't get in to long boring details, but AOL is really about my only feasible option at this time.

As far as booting to safe mode & defragging, that's also been done within the last week. I've been trying everything I knew of, so far nothing has worked. I don't have anything out of the ordinary or unnecessary running in the background, only what should be there, & nothing I don't recognize or know should be running...

Anyhow, thanks for all the advice, I will go get that firewall as well... hopefully I'll be getting a new computer altogether soon with fresh installs of everything so this won't be there bugging the [email protected]#$% out of me...

Thanks again. :)

8. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Iexplore is Internet Explorer. Since you've done virus and Spyware scan ad nauseum it's likely not either of those. Try this. Hate to see anyone have to get new computer just to get rid of probs on another machine.

Internet Explorer 5.x/6.x comes with a repair tool. To use it, go to the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel; Scroll and click to highlight 'Microsoft Internet Explorer 5/6.x' in the Install/Uninstall window; Then click on the Add/Remove button; Select 'Repair' the current installation of Internet Explorer radio button; Click on OK. Restart your computer when prompted.

9. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221222

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice