msconfig Error?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

phoenix999

Please Help.
I am running Windows XP Pro SP2.. When I try doing a diagnostic startup through ‘msconfig’ I am confronted by a ‘system configuration’ dialog box: ‘An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes.’
I am the administrator! I even completed a repair install but the message still pops up.
Is this a known issue? How can I correct it?
Regards, Phil

is the pc on or off a network ???

is the PC apart of a domain ??

phoenix999

Hi.
No network, no domain.
But it used to be networked, could there be a setting that han't been changed back?

are you logged in as administrator or are you logging in as a member of the administrators group

phoenix999

Logged on as member of Admin group but didn't have problems til recently.
How can I logon as Administrator? I can only do it in safe mode.

if you boot the PC up normal. where you see the normal login screen

press control - alt - delete- delete. this shoudl bring you to a text box that should have the last preson name that logged in. over type this box with the name administrator then enter the password for that account (if you know it that is)

let me know when you have done it, i will take it from there :rolleyes:

phoenix999

I'm just trying to properly do a diagnostic startup so I can try and troubleshoot
1. Why my scanner won't work on all profiles
2. Why I'm getting a 16 bit sub-system error when I try to install certain software

for the scanner have you downloaded and installed the latest drivers / software ?

the accounts that the scanner is not working with have you tried upgrading them to power users

what is the exact 16 bit sub-system error u are getting

phoenix999

Hi,
Installed latest drivers?
Erm, well I thought I had. Was going from Twain 5.5 to 5.7
Downloaded a self-extractor from the epson website and ran it! Installed Twain 5.7. Restart your computer to complete!
OK, easy job.
Windows restarts and unbeknown to me was reinstalling Twain 5.5.
Anyway, properly upgraded and working now.
For the record, only my admin account (the first setup on this computer) didn't work with Twain 5.5. The other admin group, limited and the administrator accounts worked fine.

The error is:
16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem

D:\Download\si22.exe
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:06fe IP:0250 OP:63 6b 65 72 20 Choose ‘Close’ to terminate the application.

phoenix999

si22.exe is a sound management, can't remember where I got it! I think it's quite old hence the16 bit. I'm not too worried about not having that particular program now. I was just curious to know what the problem is, as I am with the msconfig error!
Thanks for your help, at least I have my scanner working again.

Phil

try what makee of sound card is it. there must be a updated driver for it

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online