1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

msconfig gives access denied, now stuck in Diagnostic mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by John-oh, Sep 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John-oh

John-oh Thread Starter

Hi -- On my wife's computer I changed to "Diagnostic" mode with msconfig, but now it won't let me change back to normal startup. Annoyingly it won't allow me to launch my network either, so no internet connection. So I can't run any SysInfo programs...

The msconfig message is "An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes.". However there is only one user account.

No, I do NOT have any HP hardware or software. Running Windows XP with SP3. Dell PC.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model name and model number of that Dell computer?

What's the "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on it?

-------------------------------------------------------

Assuming it hasn't been disabled and it still has a list of restore points, have you tried using System Restore to revert back to a date and time BEFORE you made that change?

Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore

-------------------------------------------------------

3. John-oh

John-oh Thread Starter

OK, please disregard this query -- the PC is also 11 years old, won't talk to USB ports, and is now very noisy, so I am dumping it. Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1132905

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice