1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

msconfig made my keyboard stop working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TheGerm, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheGerm

TheGerm Thread Starter

MSN was not installing for me and I used someone's recommendation and selected the basic start up (Diagnostic Startup) in msconfig.

However when it loaded my usb mouse/keyboard wouldn't work. I figured this was because they had been disabled due to the basic setup (first time using msconfig)

I grabbed a PS/2 keyboard and mouse yet it still does not work. I can use the keyboard for the bios settings.

Also the taskbar reverted to classic.

Is there any bootdisk I could use to help fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

2. Specsnow

Specsnow

Hi there,

While in "Diagnostic Startup" mode, you lose several features of your hardware, and in your case, you lost your USB keyboard and mouse. Also, since you are in this mode, you cannot add additional hardware such as a PS/2 mouse or keyboard. And your taskbar is only changed because of the different mode.

If you can manage to get a PS/2 keyboard or mouse to work on your PC (you have better luck if you restart a few times when plugging them in), then all you have to do it go back into msconfig and choose "Normal Startup".

Hope this helps.

3. Claymore

Claymore

Have you tried Safe Mode? It should load basic USB drivers for your hardware.

4. Specsnow

Specsnow

Diagnostic Startup is Safe Mode, just without as much device support because this mode is more downgraded than Safe Mode.

Also, USB support in Safe Mode is dependant upon the chipset of the motherboard. Some boards do not use legacy USB chips, and therefore will not be supported in Safe Mode.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

On many boards, if usb keyboard and mouse is enabled, then the Ps2 will not work. Usb keyboard and mouse also should work even if not enabled so you may have bios settings wrong.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!