1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

msconfig Max Memory Doesn't Match

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pkreth, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pkreth

pkreth Thread Starter

Operating System - Windows 7 x64 (recently updated to this from Windows XP Pro 32bit)

Anyways, I also updated from 2 GB of ram to 4 GB. Now, I have to reduce the amount of maximum memory Windows boots with because of an older TV tuner card that does not work with 4GB or ram or more. I know, I should update the hardware, which I will soon. Anyways, I tried to just reduce the ram from 4096 down to 3968 and then to 3840 but no matter what value I put in between 3072 and 4096, Windows 7 reports that only 3.0GB is usable (in the System information).

Either way, when I do not limit the maximum memory, the TV tuner card does not work properly (green lines interrupt the picture and the sound plays intermittently). If I limit the ram (and it jumps down to 3.0 GB) then the TV tuner card works just fine.

My question is if there is some other way to limit the amount of ram to something just under 4 GB (like 3968 or 3840 (multiples of 128) so that I can use more than just half of one of my memory sticks?

Thank you for your help in advance, and please let me know if there is any other information that I need to post.

Thanks,
    pkreth

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It depends on the sizes and config of your sticks, but you'll just need to live with the subdivisions you are offered. You won't see any performance difference with a half gig one way or the other, anyway.

3. pkreth

pkreth Thread Starter

Elvandil,

Thank you for the reply. I was hoping that it was some simple error and not a hardware issue. I could not find any information on this throughout a number of searches. I know I won't really see much of a performance issue, but I use programs like MATLAB for data processing for my research, and the reason I upgraded the ram in the first place was because of some issues that would arise with that program in the first place. Some of the data sets that I process contained more data than what my memory could store (before I upgraded). Well it just stinks that I paid for the full 4 GB but my TV tuner card is limiting me to only 3 instead of say 3.7 or whatever. I am going to just upgrade my TV tuner card in the next few weeks I guess.

Thank you again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/945770